Author Topic: Anthony's Powerlifting Journal  (Read 4039 times)

Offline Anthony21

• My YouTube
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 180
Re: Anthony's Powerlifting Journal
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2018, 08:00:45 PM »
Great workout today Anthony...solid work on the duffalo bench. :)

I'm glad the salt seems to be working so well for you.  I'm intrigued by some of Stan's other diet ideas too.

I haven't read too much into his other stuff. I'll have to take a look where I can find some more of his stuff at.

I know he sells his vertical diet on his website for $100 which I'm like "fuck that" lol.

Offline Anthony21

• My YouTube
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2018, 06:44:14 PM »
Apr 11, 2018 C4 W1 D1
Body weight 178.8

Squat
55x5
55x5
145x5
195x3
235x2
255x1
Work sets
280x6
280x6
280x6
280x6

Deadlift
360x6 With straps
360x6 With straps

Summary: Today was the start of Cycle 4 on Candito's strength program. Holy shit was today a kick in the ass. The first 2 weeks of Candito's program just flat out suck. It consists of rep work with the squat and deadlift and when it comes to rep work for those two I'm dead lol.

Squats felt solid for the most part but towards the last three reps on my sets I really had to earn them. By the time I was done with my first set I was already wanting the session to be over but I had 3 more sets of 6 then 2 sets of deadlifts for 6 reps  ::)

Deadlifts felt good but holy fuck if my soul wasn't taken from squats it definitely was with deadlifts.

I opted to not do any accessory work cause by the time I was done I wasn't about that extra shit lol.

Tomorrow is the start of week 5 on the bench program I'm running where I'll be hitting 5 singles with 230 and some touch and go work.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 08:15:21 PM by Anthony21 »

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
  • Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 215
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2018, 08:05:31 PM »
I know he sells his vertical diet on his website for $100 which I'm like "fuck that" lol.

LOL...I had the exact same response.  I was tempted for one second...and then reality hit and I said fuck it, I can use the $100 to buy some steaks...diet problem solved. :D

Great looking workout today Anthony.  Those first two weeks of Candito are definitely killers.  Good job getting through the squats and deads.  Sets over 3 on deads always suck for me.
If you don't find the limit you don't have to answer that question...you have no limit.
- Brian Shaw

If in doubt, squat and run hills. So you walk into the gym and don't know what to do? Then squat and run hills. -Wendler

My Blog: https://slavinstrength.wordpress.com/

Offline Anthony21

• My YouTube
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2018, 08:20:49 PM »

LOL...I had the exact same response.  I was tempted for one second...and then reality hit and I said fuck it, I can use the $100 to buy some steaks...diet problem solved. :D

Great looking workout today Anthony.  Those first two weeks of Candito are definitely killers.  Good job getting through the squats and deads.  Sets over 3 on deads always suck for me.

Bro tell me why that was my exact thought when I saw the price for his diet. I told myself "Damn Ant you can go buy a weeks worth of food for that amount and continue making gains" lol.

I mean I'm definitely interested in it but I look at it as a fad diet. I say that in the most respectful way but the one other diet that comes to mind is the Carb Back Loading diet. I remember when that first hit the scene the powerlifting community flocked to that and acted as if it was the greatest thing ever for strength and body re composition.

Now fast forward and you don't even hear about that fad diet anymore. Now I respect Stan a lot more than the author of Carb Back Loadng as Stan has been in the trenches and has a strong client based. On top of that he has a lot of research supporting his regiment. At the same time though I just don't see me spending $100 on a diet that more than likely I'm not going to be sticking with long term. That's how I view nutrition. Is it going to be something that is not just for a short period but something that is long term.

It seems as if a lot of his protocol is addressing deficiencies in terms of vitamins and minerals in his athletes. He also has certain foods that you eat as he states are easier on the digestive system and being able to use the nutrients better. So pretty much training the digestive track. I'm unsure if that's even something that can be done. Maybe if a PDF is floating around online for free I'll give it a look lol.

I hate anything over three when it comes to the big three.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 08:31:57 PM by Anthony21 »

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2018, 11:36:54 PM »
Ya buddy! Kicked that first day in the ass as bad as it kicked your ass lol. I agree, those first 2 weeks are hell. I remember the first time I ran it, and thinking ďwhat the fuk did I sign up for!Ē
Itís ok when you have your maxes set conservatively, but once you nail accurate maxes itís an all out battle!
Awesome work!
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2018, 09:37:50 AM »

Bro tell me why that was my exact thought when I saw the price for his diet. I told myself "Damn Ant you can go buy a weeks worth of food for that amount and continue making gains" lol.

I mean I'm definitely interested in it but I look at it as a fad diet. I say that in the most respectful way but the one other diet that comes to mind is the Carb Back Loading diet. I remember when that first hit the scene the powerlifting community flocked to that and acted as if it was the greatest thing ever for strength and body re composition.

Now fast forward and you don't even hear about that fad diet anymore. Now I respect Stan a lot more than the author of Carb Back Loadng as Stan has been in the trenches and has a strong client based. On top of that he has a lot of research supporting his regiment. At the same time though I just don't see me spending $100 on a diet that more than likely I'm not going to be sticking with long term. That's how I view nutrition. Is it going to be something that is not just for a short period but something that is long term.

It seems as if a lot of his protocol is addressing deficiencies in terms of vitamins and minerals in his athletes. He also has certain foods that you eat as he states are easier on the digestive system and being able to use the nutrients better. So pretty much training the digestive track. I'm unsure if that's even something that can be done. Maybe if a PDF is floating around online for free I'll give it a look lol.

I agree about the fad nature of the diets.  I'm guessing Stan Efferding's diet is the same.  Also, I'm not sure what info he could have that is worth $100.  My guess is that there's no way it's worth $100.  In any case, he's put several seminar videos out recently that I think probably cover most of what's in there.  I've watched the first one entirely and parts of the second and third, and they were all pretty interesting.  I don't know if you've seen them but though you might be interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzARkUG1zg8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2k6WCBNof4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeOc7TRo9Os
If you don't find the limit you don't have to answer that question...you have no limit.
- Brian Shaw

If in doubt, squat and run hills. So you walk into the gym and don't know what to do? Then squat and run hills. -Wendler

Offline Anthony21

• My YouTube
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2018, 10:55:15 AM »
Ya buddy! Kicked that first day in the ass as bad as it kicked your ass lol. I agree, those first 2 weeks are hell. I remember the first time I ran it, and thinking ďwhat the fuk did I sign up for!Ē
Itís ok when you have your maxes set conservatively, but once you nail accurate maxes itís an all out battle!
Awesome work!

Yeah man the first two weeks are just an ass kicker but that rep work definitely makes you feel stronger in the later weeks of the program.

I agree about the fad nature of the diets.  I'm guessing Stan Efferding's diet is the same.  Also, I'm not sure what info he could have that is worth $100.  My guess is that there's no way it's worth $100.  In any case, he's put several seminar videos out recently that I think probably cover most of what's in there.  I've watched the first one entirely and parts of the second and third, and they were all pretty interesting.  I don't know if you've seen them but though you might be interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzARkUG1zg8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2k6WCBNof4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeOc7TRo9Os

Thanks for the links Greg. When I have some time I'm going to check them out.

Offline Anthony21

• My YouTube
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2018, 12:09:42 PM »
Apr 12, 2018
Body weight 177.6

Band pull aparts
0x25
0x25
0x25
0x25

Pause bench
230x1F me
230x1 Slow like old people fucking
230x1 Slightly better but still old people fucking
230x1 Best feeling rep
230x1 I f'n made it and hate benching.

https://youtu.be/Xvhqc0fk9po

Chest supported T bar row
140x10
150x10
150x10
150x10
150x10

Bench Press t&g
205x3
205x3
205x3

Tricep press down
50x20
50x20
50x20
50x20
50x20

Summary: Haven't handled this weight for multiple sets for a while. I was using a bench specific bar which weighs 55lbs hence no two plates and 2 2.5's in case you were wondering. Bar speed was slow as sh!t but got all 5 singles. Benching on my toes sucks a bag of d!cks cause my lumbar area tends to get cramped up and it sucks getting off the bench.

I'm not sure if this is due to lack of thoracic mobility or just too much of an arch but I'll keep an eye on this. It's kind of annoying seeing as I feel my best with leg drive with my feet back vs feet flat.

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2018, 03:31:18 PM »
Solid session buddy! Tough reps on the 230 but they did move! It ainít easy having arms like a gorilla, know those feelz man.
Looks like the top of the lockout is the sticking point. You ever do mid pin press or floor press? Or slingshot? Might be some good assistance work for you judging by where the rep slows.
☻/
/ \

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2018, 04:20:30 PM »
Good looking workout Anthony.  Good job on the bench...better to be two old people fucking, than not fucking at all. :D  Seriously though, there was a little grinding going on but you got them up which is what counts man.

Btw, I watched that 3rd Stan Efferding video today (the one in Thor's Powergym) and it is pretty good.  It goes into a lot of detail about the Vertical Diet...I'm glad I didn't blow $100. :)
- Brian Shaw

Offline Anthony21

• My YouTube
« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2018, 04:23:51 PM »
Solid session buddy! Tough reps on the 230 but they did move! It ainít easy having arms like a gorilla, know those feelz man.
Looks like the top of the lockout is the sticking point. You ever do mid pin press or floor press? Or slingshot? Might be some good assistance work for you judging by where the rep slows.

After watching the clips I agree that my sticking point is that mid to lock out point. I'll definitely have to incorporate either some sling shot work or floor presses. I just hate benching overall and the lift can go fuck itself lol.

Good looking workout Anthony.  Good job on the bench...better to be two old people fucking, than not fucking at all. :D  Seriously though, there was a little grinding going on but you got them up which is what counts man.

Btw, I watched that 3rd Stan Efferding video today (the one in Thor's Powergym) and it is pretty good.  It goes into a lot of detail about the Vertical Diet...I'm glad I didn't blow $100. :)

I definitely had to earn each rep that's for sure.

I still have to check out those videos but I'm with you man. I'm not spending $100 on some diet.

Offline Anthony21

• My YouTube
« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2018, 03:35:14 PM »
Apr 14, 2018
Body weight 178.2

Spoto press
170x5
170x5
170x5
170x5

Weighted pull up
25x6
25x6
25x6
25x6
25x4

Jm press
70x10
70x10
70x10
70x10
70x10

Rear delt dumbbell swing
15x25
15x25
15x25
15x25

Summary: solid training session last night. My spoto press felt strong and accessory work provided a nice pump.

Iíve been looking into my next training program with life after Canditoís program lol. Iím reading up on GZCL and Codyís program which has me pretty interested, specifically the Rippler template.

Iíll probably give that a run after this cycle of Canditoís but weíll see.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 05:41:55 PM by Anthony21 »

Offline Anthony21

• My YouTube
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2018, 12:46:53 AM »
Apr 15, 2018

Squat
245x8
245x8
245x8
245x8

Deadlift
315x8 With straps
315x8 With straps

Reverse hyper
270x16
270x16
270x16

Summary: rep work sucks.

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2018, 09:23:50 AM »
Good looking past couple of workouts Anthony.  You're a better man than me with that squat and deadlift workout with sets of 8.  That was the part of Candito that always stopped me in my tracks. :)  Nice job with them.

I hadn't heard of GZCL before.  I looked it up and saw some stuff on liftvault.com that I'll have to check out.
- Brian Shaw

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2018, 06:59:19 PM »
Beauty couple session Anthony. Spoto press is looking strong! Crazy 8ís is in the books too, always a fun day!
☻/
/ \