Author Topic: Merkley's guide to pretend lifting  (Read 63834 times)

Offline Merkley

• I pretend to lift from time to time.
  • Height: 5'6
  • Weight: Whatever the mirror tells me...which is fat most days
Re: Merkley's guide to pretend lifting
« Reply #1095 on: April 01, 2018, 02:58:31 PM »
 Chest and arms Hypertrophy day is done and a success! I managed to take my 45 min-1 hr workout and cram it into 25 min. I didn't realize the gym was closing today at 1 pm and I showed up at 12:35! I managed to get it all done with time to spare. From there I walked from the gym to Shoppers Drug Mart and grabbed a few odds and ends and then made my way home. I found out after the fact that I walked 2 km one way to get stuff some Shoppers, so 4 km total.

This officially marks the end of week 3.

“No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training… what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”
 – Socrates

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #1096 on: April 01, 2018, 05:26:57 PM »
Damn, that’s some efficient training!
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1097 on: April 02, 2018, 07:58:17 PM »
Well tonight's training was a bust....

The gym closed at 6pm today, FFS. I walked there to see the lights off and the doors locked.

At least a got a small walk in.
“No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training… what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1098 on: April 04, 2018, 07:36:33 AM »
Last night's training was a struggle.....nothing came easy and my elbows were having none of it. Every fuckin' workout they were screaming, I managed through. But even last night I woke up around 1 am to my elbows throbbing like a motherfucker, ugh!

I rubbed some dirt on 'em and walked it off.

This morning do different, kinda feeling I may have to use the FLEX approach to this kinda shit, pop some advil and have at it.

In any case, week 4 starts off a day late and painfully.
 – Socrates

Online piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 189
« Reply #1099 on: April 04, 2018, 07:38:22 AM »
Sorry to hear that Merk.
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
« Reply #1100 on: April 04, 2018, 08:49:33 AM »
Faak, that sucks about the elbow buddy. Hope it clears up for you!
☻/
/ \

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1101 on: April 06, 2018, 07:17:23 AM »
So.....Wednesday's day off went as planned, off.

Thursday I spent the evening at our business trying to set up our new modem (the other one shit the bed). I was there until close to 9 pm and couldn't get it to run, fuck. Dealing with  tech support was a complete waste of time. They literally had no idea what they were doing, at all.

So I'm going to see if I can push back next Wednesday's day off to play catch up on my training.

On a good note, the few days off I had this week have given my elbows a break.

Sleep has been complete garbage this week. I've been considering getting some gummies to help get my sleep back on track. Also I have been considering a sleep study and see if I might need a CPAP machine. Perhaps both?  8)

It's Friday!

– Socrates

Offline BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: fluffy
« Reply #1102 on: April 06, 2018, 08:16:52 PM »
I listened to a podcast where they were talking about performance increases just from getting adequate sleep.  They said something about a 60 hour a week challenge.  Sounded reasonable until I did the math and realized that would be over 8 hours a night.  I'm only able to do that on weekends.

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1103 on: April 07, 2018, 11:31:56 AM »
I listened to a podcast where they were talking about performance increases just from getting adequate sleep.  They said something about a 60 hour a week challenge.  Sounded reasonable until I did the math and realized that would be over 8 hours a night.  I'm only able to do that on weekends.

I too have heard the importance of sleep when it comes to recovery, growth, performance, and overall better quality of life. I really hope I can get a handle on my sleep soon.

For the most part I have that opportunity to get 8+ hours a night, I just need to be able to actually sleep during that time, ha ha!

– Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1104 on: April 07, 2018, 11:38:09 AM »
Last night's leg session went pretty well, although I did start to get a pain across the tops of both my knee caps. I was using way too much toe and not enough heel on a few of the exercises I was doing, a nice reminder that I need to use precaution and be more mindful of my foot positioning when doing legs.

I tend to get a little too caught up with mind to muscle and lose track of foot positioning, again something I need to clearly work on.

Overall it was a good workout. Afterward I walked home and ran up 5 flights of stairs for some extra pump.

– Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1105 on: April 08, 2018, 06:01:06 PM »
Yesterday's workout was a no go. I spent the day doing some clean up, running around, and finally back at the business fixing the internet issue. Thankfully my time wasn't wasted and I managed to get the internet working, yay! Of course it did take time to do so and by that I mean I was working on that until 20 after 4.

The gym closes at 5 pm on the weekend.

::)

That's ok though, here's why.

Today was another fun filled day of getting shit done but I managed to get into the gym by 4 pm, again the gym closes at 5. By 4:30 I was done my workout so....I decided to play catch up and did another day's workout on top of that.

I got to get caught up, you know!

So this is how it all went.

Bent over rows 3x10
 Rack chins 3x8
 Seated Row 3x12
 FLEX shrugs (using the calf raise machine for shrugs) 2x15 (310 lbs)
 Close grip Pulldowns 2x15
 Seated BB Press 3x12
 Upright rows 2x12
 Side lat d-bell raises 3x15
 Hammer Press chest Press 10x12 (yes, 10 sets of 12 reps)
 Machine Flyes 2x15
 Preacher Curls 3x10
 D-bell Curls 2x15
 Pin Wheel Curls 2x15
 Tricep Pushdown 3x15
 Cable pressdown 4x15

Total time was 55 min.

I was moving fast, sweating buckets, and overall pleased with the workout. I made sure to focus on mind to muscle and if need be lighten the load to ensure I could feel everything properly, I had to do this a few times.

Official weight this week is 220.2 lbs and holding at 23% BF. Oh and of course I had to take an ego measurement and I've gotten myself back up to a 17 inch arm (cold/no pump).

This keeps my weight roughly the same throughout, minor movements up and down but that is to be expected. Though I'm down from 27.5% BF to 23% BF as of this morning. Although these numbers could be off to my "actual" BF it does tell me I am heading in the right direction and that's all it's really there for. Though to be honest that seems to be a fair assessment if I do say so as far as BF is concerned.

4 weeks and 19 workouts done, I would have 20 but I had to move a workout to next week due to the holiday's.

This officially ends week 4.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 10:36:32 AM by Merkley »
 – Socrates

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
« Reply #1106 on: April 08, 2018, 06:08:11 PM »

:clap:

Best trap exercise evar!!!
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
« Reply #1107 on: April 09, 2018, 09:37:51 AM »
Double workout in a hour! Great job!
☻/
/ \

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1108 on: April 09, 2018, 01:54:29 PM »

:clap:

Best trap exercise evar!!!

I agree, my traps take such a beating doing those!
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1109 on: April 09, 2018, 01:55:12 PM »
Double workout in a hour! Great job!

I felt like such a hulking gorilla by the time I was done!
 – Socrates