Author Topic: Merkley's guide to pretend lifting  (Read 64019 times)

Offline ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
Re: Merkley's guide to pretend lifting
« Reply #1080 on: March 23, 2018, 11:56:36 AM »
Solid back and shoulder volume!
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \

Offline Merkley

• I pretend to lift from time to time.
  • Height: 5'6
  • Weight: Whatever the mirror tells me...which is fat most days
« Reply #1081 on: March 23, 2018, 04:42:58 PM »
Solid back and shoulder volume!

Lots of volume these days, lol.
“No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training… what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”
 – Socrates

Offline BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: fluffy
« Reply #1082 on: March 23, 2018, 08:19:48 PM »
This is becoming a habit already!  Awesome!  Are you competing anytime coming up?  Ready by August?

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1083 on: March 24, 2018, 08:44:12 AM »
This is becoming a habit already!  Awesome!  Are you competing anytime coming up?  Ready by August?

Things are moving in the right direction so far, tomorrow will mark 2 weeks back to training...erm today rather.

Competing...shit....the last time I seriously thought about that was the last time I seen FLEX and Lisa, that was forever ago it seems. I would like to, don't get me wrong. But it the farthest thing from being any kind of vision/priority for the time being.

Things could change however as time goes by, you cannot predict what the future will hold.

So I won't say yes nor will I say no.

“No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training… what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1084 on: March 24, 2018, 09:15:20 AM »
Last nights session

Leg press 7 sets of 8 with 4 plates a side and a 25 on the top (those are working sets)
 Leg press 2 sets of 12 with 3 plates a side and a 25 on the top
 Leg Extension 3x15
 Romanian deadlifts 3x12
 Leg Curls 4x15
 Standing Calf Raises 4x10
 Seated Calf Raises 3x15

Then to top it all off I walked home and proceeded to walk up 5 flights of stairs rather than using the elevator.

Legs are still cooked....it might be a rough few days.

– Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1085 on: March 24, 2018, 03:11:38 PM »
Hypertrophy Chest and Arms

Hammer Strength Chest press 4x10
Incline D-Bell Press 3x10
Seated Machine Chest Press 3x12
Cable Flyes 3x15
Cambered Preacher Curl 3x10
Machine Bicep Curl 2x12
Pin Wheel Curls 2x15
Seated Tricep Pushdown 3x12
Cable Pressdowns with Rope Attachement 2x12

Arms and chest are completely cooked. I swear my arms haven't had that kind of a pump since I was a kid! When I was on my way home I was super excited that I had no elbow pain and it was like I was 20 all over again, as if changing jobs may prove there is hope I can move forward with no elbow pain.

Then I realized that I had taken 3 advil prior for my nose, I was horsing around with Pearl the other day and there was a nasty (unintentional) head butt that occurred. I just so happen to have been the really unlucky one and took it to the nose. There was a loud crack, instant swelling, and right now a shit ton of soreness throughout my nose and left eye. It was throbbing so bad earlier I took something for it. I've had my nose broken a few times in the past and this seems to be no different than before. Lucky for me I don't have a black eye from it, how I escaped that is beyond me. But I'll take it!

This officially ends week 2.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 03:26:30 PM by Merkley »
 – Socrates

Offline BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: fluffy
« Reply #1086 on: March 24, 2018, 03:17:48 PM »
2 weeks down.  A lifetime to go.

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1087 on: March 24, 2018, 03:51:13 PM »
2 weeks down.  A lifetime to go.

Well the goal is to make it to week 30-32 without any disruptions. It'd be pretty bad ass if I can make it a full 52 weeks in a row!

But right now I'm happy with making it 2 weeks and 10 workouts done with no interruptions.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 12:51:26 PM by Merkley »
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1088 on: March 26, 2018, 08:09:53 AM »
Official weight right now is 220 @ 26% BF

This puts me 1.5% BF down and .1 lbs more than when I first started 2 weeks ago. Seeing the scale reading was a small downer but the BF% change tells me I am heading in the right direction.

I'm just going to continue to do what I do.

– Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1089 on: March 27, 2018, 07:38:03 AM »
 So last nights work out has been moved to today, which means Wednesdays day off will be a training day.

It isn't like I didn't go.

I dropped off the car and walked to the gym, but on the way to the gym I made 2 fatal mistakes...

1- I took a phone call from my Mom on the way home from work

2 - I proceeded to call my sister after and rant, which turned into an hour and a half conversation about our family (not the best of conversations....almost ever). So I walked around the block the gym is on for literally the entire time as we talked.

When I realized the time I headed home since I didn't have the time to spend to get my training done.

So I guess last night was a cardio session?

I learned a valuable lesson, don't call or take calls from family members during training evenings.

I missed out on prepping food, a meal, and keeping my training week the way I want it.

Fuck....

Whatever, it is what it is.

Today will be a better day.
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1090 on: March 28, 2018, 07:20:47 AM »
Yesterday's training went off without a hitch. Again weight is going up and reps are increasing, keeping proper form and mind to muscle.

Bent over BB row 3 x 5
 Pull ups 2 x 6
 Chin ups 2 x 6
 Flat D-bell Press 3 x 5
 Dips 2 x 6
 Shoulder Press 3 x 10
 Cambered Bar curl 3 x 6
 Tricep Press down 3 x 10

Nutrition was spot on yesterday as well.
 – Socrates

Offline ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #1091 on: March 28, 2018, 05:12:10 PM »
Back on track! Killer session today!
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1092 on: March 28, 2018, 06:35:27 PM »
Leg Press 3x5, 2x6
Leg Extension 2x6
SLDL 3x5
Leg Curl 2x6
Standing calf raises 3x6
Seated Calf raises 2x6

I was done in less than 45 min which was nice. Again weights are going up and everything is feeling much more natural.
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1093 on: March 31, 2018, 03:07:50 PM »
Diet has been good, until yesterday. It wasn't bad but not good either. I drank beer, ate steak and potatoes...that is literally it.

So Thursday I trained back and shoulders, starting the hypertrophy part of the week.

Right now my brain is mush, more so than normal and I cannot recall everything I did. I did train and I trained hard, that I do know. Other than that it was a bit of a blur.

Today was legs, holy hell. The hypertrophy leg day is fuckin' brutal. It's been already a few hours since I trained and my legs are still all rubbery and weird.

Lots of sets and rep ranges were in the 8-15 range with an average of 12 reps.

14 workouts down, one to go and that will complete week 3.
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1094 on: April 01, 2018, 10:32:00 AM »
Happy Easter Sunday to one and all!

Today is another one of those stay at home and do fuck all days, minus going to the gym of course.....although I may see if a local grocery store is open to get some milk. I should have done this Thursday when I did some shopping, but I didn't. I underestimated how much milk we go through. This caused some "firm discussions" this morning in regards to coffee.

This mornings official weigh in was 222 lbs. This was startling at first but again I'm having to remind myself that the scale isn't the end all and be all of progress. I checked my BF and I am down again to 25% BF. I am down 2-2.5% BF over the past few weeks. Not only that but I am noticing I'm more vascular, my legs are getting noticeably larger, and clothing is fitting differently.

I would like to think I'm heading in the right direction, therefore I will keep my nutrition the way it is and continue to monitor as usual.

Anyways, hope you all are having a great Easter weekend....to damned bad I don't have tomorrow off like many.

But I'll take the 3 day long weekend!

– Socrates