Author Topic: Be positive, Appreciate, Elevate.  (Read 182780 times)

Offline LisaSkinnoble

• Mr Flexy's Happy Protégé
  • Height: 5'6"
Re: Merkley's guide to pretend lifting
« Reply #885 on: April 09, 2017, 01:09:22 PM »
Hey Merkles!

Shame about your gym.  I hope you find a new place soon.

Say Hi to Mrs M for us!  Hope all is well.  Let's catch up soon - patio season is back, woohoo!

Last meet lifts:  245/125/285
April 2017:  235/130/255

"You know, there's nothing damnable about being a strong woman. The world needs strong women." — Ginger Rogers

“Don’t go bacon my heart! I couldn’t if I fried…”

Offline Merkley

• Weight: Thicck Boi
« Reply #886 on: April 12, 2017, 06:38:03 AM »
Hey Merkles!

Shame about your gym.  I hope you find a new place soon.

Say Hi to Mrs M for us!  Hope all is well.  Let's catch up soon - patio season is back, woohoo!

Thanks for stopping by Lisa! :)

Mrs. M says hi to you both. I cannot wait for garage deadlifts, beer, your guys' amazing food, and getting a chance to catch up.!
“Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.”
– Arnold Schwarzenegger

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
« Reply #887 on: April 12, 2017, 08:16:12 AM »
Soon.....
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Offline Merkley

« Reply #888 on: April 25, 2017, 02:32:04 PM »
Afternoon!

I'm finally back to training!

Been training for about a week, nothing crazy but the ball is slowing rolling again. I found another little performance place pretty close by and I'm enjoying it....so far, lol.

Nothing too new and exciting to report besides that. I've been getting on with getting on.

Hope all is well with everyone

Cheers!
“Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.”
– Arnold Schwarzenegger

Online BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Weight: fluffy
« Reply #889 on: April 25, 2017, 07:28:37 PM »
Welcome back Merk!  The "other" Ron(n)

Offline Merkley

« Reply #890 on: April 29, 2017, 06:43:21 PM »
Another training week down, like last update nothing too special. I do have a couple highlights.

Dead'd 455 on a stiff bar, this is a first. The best on a stiff bar I have ever done was 420.

Squatted 365 with no belt or knee sleeves today, close to pain free! Though I'll be sure to continue with my knee sleeves (I just happened to have left them at home).

Bench...meh.

– Arnold Schwarzenegger

Online BLK00TJ

« Reply #891 on: April 29, 2017, 09:06:13 PM »
That is great to read Merk. Hope the training keeps going well for you.

Offline Merkley

« Reply #892 on: May 08, 2017, 05:43:34 PM »
I'm alive and well, just wanted to give you a quick update.

I'm now officially training at a place called Primal Athletics. I'm using them for both programming and nutrition. These past couple of weeks have been fucking gruelling but it's gonna be worth all the effort in the end.

I'm training 4 times a week. 3 days are powerlifting and the 4th is METCON stuff (the METCON is to really bring up my conditioning...I'm really out of shape).

Nothing else to really report at this point.

Cheers!
– Arnold Schwarzenegger

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
« Reply #893 on: May 08, 2017, 06:54:57 PM »
If spring ever gets here we'll have to do some lifts and steaks and beers or something.

You ever gonna compete again?
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Online BLK00TJ

« Reply #894 on: May 09, 2017, 06:56:46 PM »
Having recently done conditioning stuff, I can definitely relate to you Merk.  I stopped doing it leading up to my last meet, but I really need to get back at it.  I think in the long run it will pay off training wise and health wise.

Offline Merkley

« Reply #895 on: May 13, 2017, 03:37:58 PM »
If spring ever gets here we'll have to do some lifts and steaks and beers or something.

You ever gonna compete again?

Man I hope spring gets here soon...hell June is just around the corner!!! I look forward to some lifts! We'll sort out the details when the weather gets a little better.

I will compete again, though not sure when.... I can tell you this, when I do compete again I will be coming in as a Saturday lifter rather than a Sunday (Hopefully 170's) I'm very, VERY, focused on cutting right now and I truly need to follow through with it. Once I get to my goal weight wise I will start looking into dates to compete.

– Arnold Schwarzenegger

Offline Merkley

« Reply #896 on: May 13, 2017, 03:42:18 PM »
Having recently done conditioning stuff, I can definitely relate to you Merk.  I stopped doing it leading up to my last meet, but I really need to get back at it.  I think in the long run it will pay off training wise and health wise.

Round 2 of METCON is tomorrow at 10 am.....pray for me.  :P

I need this so much. I'm 32 and a fucking slug. I'm tired of just lifting semi-mediocre weight and useless at everything else. I need to work seriously on my conditioning! This is by far the best/worst decision I have made for myself in recent years in regards to my training. I know there is going to be positive kick back in all aspects of my life from this training...though right now I'm hating/loving the beginning stages of this part of my training adventure.

– Arnold Schwarzenegger

Offline Merkley

« Reply #897 on: May 13, 2017, 03:56:42 PM »
Ok!

So another update.

Over the past couple of weeks I have been doing A LOT of high rep work (3x20 type stuff). Man....it's been beating the fuck outta me. But again as I have stated I really need this. Starting this coming week the rep work will drop down (most likely to the 15's kinda thing) and into the following weeks the trend will continue. a linear periodization kind of approach.

I'm hoping to get my deadlifts back into the 500's sometime this year (I pulled 455 on a stiff bar a few weeks back and that was with having a good month/6 weeks off). Though I don't think it will be any time soon. I may be good for a 475 dead by the end of this cycle but once I cycle back into the high rep work I'm sure my strength will drop (due to the caloric restriction and weight loss).

Last weeks METCON work goes as follows.

20 Burpees
 20 Sumo DL to high pull
 20 Box jumps
 30 sec battle ropes
 30 seconds farmers walks w/225lbs
 15 pull ups
 10 dumbbell front raises

This had to be done 4 times...in under 30 minutes.

I managed only 2 rounds of this out of the 4. It was a very humbling experience, I found myself laying in a pool of my own sweat by the end. Tomorrow I'm sure will be no different other than I hope to complete either 3 rounds or 2 rounds more effectively.

Baby steps...

Oh and I forgot how much I hate burpees....I really, really, hate burpees.

– Arnold Schwarzenegger

Online BLK00TJ

« Reply #898 on: May 13, 2017, 04:58:30 PM »

I can second this.  There's a billion other things I'd rather do to get my heart pounding. 

Good work Merk.  Next time you'll get more done.  How often are you doing those kinds of workouts?

Offline Merkley

« Reply #899 on: May 22, 2017, 08:52:46 AM »

I can second this.  There's a billion other things I'd rather do to get my heart pounding. 

Good work Merk.  Next time you'll get more done.  How often are you doing those kinds of workouts?

METCON is only once a week, thankfully
– Arnold Schwarzenegger