Author Topic: Scrabbz's Humble Lifting Journey  (Read 14482 times)

Offline Scrabbz

• Trying
  • Height: 5'10"
  • Weight: 140lbs
Re: Scrabbz's Humble Lifting Journey
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2014, 04:40:01 PM »
I can't figure out the programming you're using.  I see OHPs repeated on two consecutive sessions with a lot of heavy work being on 5/30.

How many days a week are you weight training?  If three days a week, I'd just go with a 5x5 full body program like SS or SL.  If you want a bit more volume look up Ice Cream Fitness.  I ran with ICF for about 5 months and had some good results.  The first three months I was cutting then I ran two more for bulk.  The problem with ICF is it is a 90 minute workout because of the volume.

Sorry it has been so long since I have posted in here. It has been very busy in my normal life. I have however, continued with my lifts. This program was actually made for me, tailored to my situation and goals. There isn't any real template out there for it, because it's pretty unique. I DO have all of the information on it here:

A basic beginner 3 x 5 program.

The reason for making this program, is to create a solid novice program which is less aggressive than traditional Starr programs, but built upon the same engine of progression. This program is not meant to be “optimal”, nor is it tended introduce anything groundbreaking.  The slower progression can give a novice more time to improve form, develop MMC and while it is a much slower progression, over time it may lend itself to less injury.

The Program Split.
This program is a 3 day / week 3 x 5 program utilizing basic barbell compound exercises, working each body part twice per week..

Upper / Rest / Lower / Rest / Rest / Full Body / Rest

Lower                  Upper                    Full Body
Back Squats     3 x 5          Overhead Press    3 x 5        Back Squats     3 x 5
Lunge      3 x 5          Row Variant           3 x 5        Bench Press    3 x 5
Leg accessory     3 x 8 - 10       Push accessory         3 x 8 - 10        Deadlift     1 x 5
Leg accessory     3 x 8 - 10        Pull accessory           3 x 8 - 10
Optional calf work           Optional arm work

Where to start and progression
. Before starting any basic novice program, ensure that you can properly perform the exercises before you begin progression.

. All basic compounds with a 3 x 5 rep scheme should be started between 70 - 75% of your 1 rm, or with your 8-10 rep max.

Bench and OHP progression
Both bench and ohp will both be done once a week. Each week you will add weight to both.

Begin OHP and Bench progression by adding 5 / week respectively, with the last set done for as many reps as possible (AMRAP). Bench and especially OHP are both great movements to consider micro loading with. Once you fail to hit 5 reps for all 3 sets, continue with the same weight until you make your 5 reps for each set. Once you can no longer make progression in  OHP and Bench for 2-3 weeks, reset both at the same time. Do not reset either until they both fail to make progress.

Squat Progression
Back squats will be done twice per week, and front squats will be done once per week. Each time you back squat, you will add weight. Front squats will be done once per week, adding weight once per week.

Begin back squat progression by adding 5 each session (10 lbs a week), with the last set done for AMRAP. Once you fail to hit 5 reps for all 3 sets, continue with the same weight until you make you 5 reps for each set. When you fail to increase in weight  or reps  for 2-3 weeks,  reset.

Begin front squat progression by adding 5 a week, with the last set done for AMRAP. Once you fail to hit 5 reps for all 3 sets, continue with the same weight until you make you 5 reps for each set. When you fail to increase in weight or reps for 2-3 weeks, reset.
Deadlift and Row progression
Both Pendlay rows and deadlifts will be done once per week, and weight will be added each week.

Begin deadlift progression by adding 10 lbs a week to your single working set, with your set being done for as many reps as possible. Once you fail to hit 6-7 reps, add 5 lbs a week. When you can no longer do 3 reps, only add weight when you make you triple. When you fail to add weight or reps for 2-3 consecutive weeks,  reset.

Begin  row progression by adding 5 a week, with the last set done for AMRAP. Once you fail to hit 5 reps for all 3 sets, continue with the same weight until you make you 5 reps for each set. When you fail to increase in weight or reps for 2-3 weeks, reset.

Primary Compound alternatives.
Bench / OHP - For those with shoulder issues, Decline or Incline bench can be substituted respectively.
Back Squat - Squats should not be replaced.
Front squat - Goblet squat will make a great alternative to FSQ, and can be used to build up to front squats. You could also replace front squats with lunges or another squat variant (box squats, Jefferson squats etc.
Pendlay Row - Any barbell row variant would be an acceptable substitute (bent over or yates). Like wise, you could replace with shugs, rack pulls or power cleans. If you chose power cleans, they should be done for 5 sets of triples.
Deadlift - Deadlift should not be replaced.

Accessory progression
Accessory exercises should be started in the 8-10 rep range like all other movements, though progression will be slower. You can add weight every other week for the first 4-6 weeks, after that, increasing weight once a month should suffice. The purpose of accessory movements is to aid in your primary lifts and to add to the work volume. Do not increase the weight until you can complete all 3 sets for 10 reps with a steady cadence (without rest pausing).

In this regard, optional arm work and optional calf work should be considered and progressed as an accessory.

I also have been logging my lifts since I was last here and they are as follows:

6/4/2014
   .....Movement.....      .....Set 1.....      .....Set 2.....      .....Set 3.....      .....Set 4.....      .....Set 5.....   
   Back Squats      145x5      145x5      145x? (10)               
   "Front Squat
"   
   95x10      95x10      95x10               
   Good-Mornings      60x5      60x5      60x5               
   Hack Press      60x10      60x10      60x10               
   SLDL      155x10      155x10      155x10      "
"   
   "
"   

6/6/2014
   .....Movement.....      .....Set 1.....      .....Set 2.....      .....Set 3.....      .....Set 4.....      .....Set 5.....   
   Squat      150x5      150x5      150x? (10)               
   Bench      90x5      90x5      90x? (10)               
   Deadlift      155x5      175x5      190x? (10)            "
"   
   Pull Ups      2.5      2      1.5               
   Dips      12      5      4               

6/9/2014
   OHP      70x5      70x5      70x?(8)               
   Incline bench press      65x10      65x10      65x10               
   "BOR
"   
   95x5      95x5      95x? (10)               
    Pull Ups Assisted (28lbs)      8      8      8               

SuperSet                                 
   Barbell Curl      Barx10      Barx10      Barx10               
   CGBP       65x10      65x10      65x10               
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 05:03:23 PM by Scrabbz »
Current Tested Stats:
Bench: 110x9
OHP: 85x6
Squat: 190x8
Deadlift: 255x8

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2014, 04:50:46 PM »
Good to hear you're still lifting; busy life or not.   :)
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Offline sakustoms

• Veteran
  • OVER HERE GETTING FAT!!!!
  • Height: 5'-6"
  • Weight: 157
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2014, 12:51:59 PM »
Good to see you're still getting in the gym and getting things done. Great job.
Eric

Squat - 255 :(
DL - 375
OHP - 130
Bench - 275