Author Topic: Using cinnamon as a supplement for glucose  (Read 1143 times)

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
  • Height: 69
  • Weight: 195
Using cinnamon as a supplement for glucose
« on: December 13, 2015, 01:06:23 PM »
I have always head the benefits of cinnamon for blood glucose, but some recent studies show up to 24% drop in fasting glucose levels in pre-diabetics over 40 days. Doseages in the 3-4g range

Here is a list of noted effects

direct effects on the insulin receptor have been observed for Cinnamtannin B1, a proanthocyanidin isolated from the stem bark of Ceylon cinnamon that activates the phosphorylation of the insulin receptor β-subunit on adipocytes as well as other insulin receptors,

indirect effects on glucose management that are mediated by increased GLP-1 levels, a satiety hormone that decreases the amount of insulin that is necessary to clear glucose from your blood - as Medagama points out, probably by improving glucose transport,

direct effects on the GLUT-4 glucose uptake receptor, the expression of which is increased by 42.8 % to 73.1 % in brown adipose tissue and muscle by cinnamon in a dose dependent manner,

indirect effects on insulin sensitivity that are mediated by the effects of cinnamon on the expression of PPAR (α) and PPAR (γ), the increase of which is linked to increased glucose uptake - unfortunately, also in fat cells,

direct effects on carbohydrate availability that are mediated by the inhibition of the amylase enzyme that is responsible for breaking down complex carbs into simple sugars,
indirect effects on the endogenous production of glucose in the liver that is inhibited by cinnamon (glucogenesis, i.e. the storage of sugar in the liver, on the other hand, is promoted), and

indirect effects that are brought about by the reduced rate of gastric emptying that will naturally slow down the absorption of glucose after a meal.

BUT store bough "cinnamon" is generally "Cassia" cinnamon which contains high amounts of coumarin which can be potentially harmful, even cancer causing.    "Ceylon" however contains very little and is a much safer. (difference of 2-5ppm vs 2000-5000 of Cassia).

Anyway....this time I looked for a different option as I begin to try to drop fat again.   I found a good supp option which is not expensive and "Cassia" variety.   

3 bottles of 1000mg 100 pills/ bottle.  Or aprox 3 months supply for $11.    I going to give this a shot as I felt my prior experiments with cinnamon were worth it, this is a healthier way to try it.

Here is an amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G7QFW8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Online piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 189
Re: Using cinnamon as a supplement for glucose
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 04:34:47 PM »
Does the cinnamon in pumpkin pie count?
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Offline Little Tim

• Updated profile pic
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: 2-frickin' fluffy-40
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 05:55:03 PM »
If you're pre-diabetic,  I'd better double up my life insurance. 

Until they isolate the compound or group of compounds that illicits the effect, don't mess with homoepathy for such slim rewards for an unknown level of risk.  It's  tree bark. Remember why root beer is no longer made of birch bark? 

Offline LithiuM23

• Corrections Officer
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 319
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 11:33:05 AM »
I saw something Ben Pakulski posted about this. It's very interesting, and I may need to give it a try!
Best lifts:
Bench- 380, Squat- 365, Deadlift 505
Honourable mention- Incline bar 350

Offline TMonkey

• Global Moderator
  • bje me.
    • Monkey Boards
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 11:49:14 AM »
i take it everyday twice a day
you want a I-S shirt.  They have sales all the time, get one then.
http://www.zazzle.com/222university*

Offline TMonkey

• Global Moderator
  • bje me.
    • Monkey Boards
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 11:55:33 AM »

Anyway....this time I looked for a different option as I begin to try to drop fat again.   I found a good supp option which is not expensive and "Cassia" variety.   

3 bottles of 1000mg 100 pills/ bottle.  Or aprox 3 months supply for $11.    I going to give this a shot as I felt my prior experiments with cinnamon were worth it, this is a healthier way to try it.

Here is an amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G7QFW8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

that is cassia

i use this it seems to make i slight difference but i get it right at sams club since it is convenient for me
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/mm-cinnamon-cinsulin-170ct/prod17960395.ip?navAction=push

Offline TMonkey

• Global Moderator
  • bje me.
    • Monkey Boards
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 11:57:30 AM »
oh and use metformin if you are serious about this - i am sure any doctor will scrip you 500mg a day

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
  • Height: 69
  • Weight: 195
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 01:56:32 PM »
oh and use metformin if you are serious about this - i am sure any doctor will scrip you 500mg a day

I have seen where they are studying metformin as an anti aging too!   Lots of beneficial things may come from it....but yes, doubt I would get anyone to script it.

As for the cinnamon......I took it all summer and then stopped where I was not watching my cals as much.   I am thinking it might have helped me a little as I did not exactly restrict from eating this summer either.   I dont know, but I have a feeling it helped.

Glad you saw this info.   Hope everything is going well man!!