Author Topic: Weight loss stalled  (Read 2134 times)

Offline LithiuM23

• Corrections Officer
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 319
Weight loss stalled
« on: December 14, 2015, 12:47:03 PM »
So I've been eating clean/cutting since October 1st (I use cutting loosely as I'm not competing lol), and for the past 3 weeks my weight loss has stalled. I admit I've cheated a couple of times (a wrap from Tim Hortons, a 6 inch turkey sub from subway), but other than my usual cheat meal every 10 days, I've been eating very clean. My buddy who is a bodybuilder says I don't eat enough carbs, being that on my high carb day I'm eating around 300 grams, which I sadly find hard to do. I've been sticking exclusively to brown rice or quinoa with veggies mixed in, but my buddy also says that potatoes or white rice is fine. What are your guys thoughts on this, and other things I might be able to do to cut down?

Currently I lift weights 5-6 days a week, and do roughly 30-55 minutes of cardio a day (low to moderate intensity). I'd like to start doing more interval training, but only once I'm below 300 lbs as I don't want to destroy my knees. My calories are also around 2,500 a day the breakdown usually being 220 protein, 70 fat, and the carbs vary from 80-300. I'm also taking CLA, fish oil, green tea extract and vitamin C with every meal.

I appreciate the input. 
Best lifts:
Bench- 380, Squat- 365, Deadlift 505
Honourable mention- Incline bar 350

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
Re: Weight loss stalled
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 12:56:50 PM »
Carbs are carbs it doesn't matter if you eat potatoes or rice or pasta or whatever.

Also stop wasting your money on CLA; it's not doing anything for you.

Try cutting back slightly and see what happens; if you are close to 300 lbs and not losing weight at 2,500 calories something ain't right.  You may be miscalculating somewhere...
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Offline LithiuM23

• Corrections Officer
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 01:02:51 PM »
Carbs are carbs it doesn't matter if you eat potatoes or rice or pasta or whatever.

Also stop wasting your money on CLA; it's not doing anything for you.

Try cutting back slightly and see what happens; if you are close to 300 lbs and not losing weight at 2,500 calories something ain't right.  You may be miscalculating somewhere...
You're the second person to tell me CLA isn't doing shit in the last few days, but some guys will always recommend/put it with their "meal plans".
Best lifts:

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 01:29:39 PM »
I bought some of that stuff years ago and it didn't do a thing for me.  I think I still have half a bottle in my sup cabinet.

Most of the research shows it doesn't do much either.
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
  • Height: 69
  • Weight: 195
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 02:02:20 PM »
At 310 you are not really in a place where you have to do any real specific dialing (nutrient timing, or cheat meals for that matter).

You can be looking to safely lose 2-3 lbs a week at your size.   If you are not dropping that, adjust cals down.  Pro and fat look good, drop carbs.

There is no reason to be "carb cycling" at your size.   If your goal is to drop the weight.....then do it and quit with the "cheat meals"...etc.

Go for 12 weeks and then eat maint for 2 and then go back to dieting.   

Online piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 189
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 02:26:02 PM »
Only time my weight stalled is because I wasn't accurately tracking and just "guestimating" my cal intake. That was on me for not being diligent enough to weigh and measure.
Once I got back to weighing and tracking then the weight started coming off again.
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Offline LithiuM23

• Corrections Officer
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 10:44:55 AM »
At 310 you are not really in a place where you have to do any real specific dialing (nutrient timing, or cheat meals for that matter).

You can be looking to safely lose 2-3 lbs a week at your size.   If you are not dropping that, adjust cals down.  Pro and fat look good, drop carbs.

There is no reason to be "carb cycling" at your size.   If your goal is to drop the weight.....then do it and quit with the "cheat meals"...etc.

I don't think it's just as easy as lowering the calories though. At one point I was down to 1,300 calories a day (at my weight I should be able to eat 2,700 and lose without exercise even), but even then my weight loss stalled. It seems like I can consistently lose 30 lbs, but then can't lose any more, at which point I usually quit. I won't be quitting this time, but it is still discouraging considering how hard I try. On the plus side I am getting stronger, but I don't care about that so much right now.
Best lifts:

Offline Get-n-fit

• HEAVY WEIGHT IS A BITCH, MAKE IT YOURS!!
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 11:05:47 AM »

I don't think it's just as easy as lowering the calories though. At one point I was down to 1,300 calories a day (at my weight I should be able to eat 2,700 and lose without exercise even), but even then my weight loss stalled. It seems like I can consistently lose 30 lbs, but then can't lose any more, at which point I usually quit. I won't be quitting this time, but it is still discouraging considering how hard I try. On the plus side I am getting stronger, but I don't care about that so much right now.

Hey man, it is as easy as lowering your calories.  Most likely, as stated previously, you're miscalculating your calorie intake somewhere.  You'll need to figure out your TDEE and eat at a caloric deficit.  Get a food log app and log every single thing you eat to get a more appropriate estimate of what you are actually eating.   There's no re3ason for you not to lose weight at 2,700 cals/day
IG: Tourostrengthtraining
Lift light, until you can lift right
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Online induced_drag

• Global Moderator
  • Height: 69
  • Weight: 195
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 11:08:54 AM »

It really does come down to calories.  It is all an energy equation.  Yes, there are some metabolic adaptations, but none large enough to overrule the basic laws of physics.

If you were not losing weight at 1300 cal, you were not counting properly.   Many people make that mistake.

You should be tracking with an accurate food scale and using good values to figure from.   Databases are notorious for containing erroneous info.  Double check with usda values.   People often miss the difference between raw and cooked values.   Chicken loses 30% of its weight in cooking.  Beef, from 10-30 depending on the way you cook it.  I could go on....but you get the idea.

Offline LithiuM23

• Corrections Officer
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 12:52:34 PM »
It's weird that I actually ate a little bit crappier this week (a couple of Subway turkey subs along the way), and I'm down 3 lbs this week. Not that I'm going to complain.
Best lifts: