Author Topic: Anthony's Powerlifting Journal  (Read 3503 times)

Offline Anthony21

• My YouTube
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 180
Re: Anthony's Powerlifting Journal
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2018, 10:20:39 AM »
Great session Anthony, looks like the new foot position gets you in a tighter place for sure. Beauty work on the cut, you didnít even look that fat at 230-40 TBH, hard to believe all the weight that came off.
Looking forward to the new program!

Thanks a lot Shawn. It'll be interesting once I hit that 200lb mark to see where i'm at from a body composition stand point as well as a strength one.

I'm excited to start my new programming. I never advocate programming hopping but it was hard to pass up. I debated back and forth if I should pursue Blevin's programming since I'm midway through a training cycle. It might be detrimental short term but I think the long term rewards is worth it, at least I hope.

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
  • Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 215
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2018, 06:25:36 PM »
Great workout yesterday Anthony. :)  That was a lot of good looking bench reps in your video.  I like your leg positioning and your arch...looks like a lot of potential power there.

I hadn't really heard of Garret Blevins programming before so after reading your previous posts I went and looked it up.  That does indeed look interesting and the cost seems very reasonable.  I'll be interested to see if you go that route what your programming looks like.

I'm definitely hoping it helps with my poverty bench lol.

Blevins is a very smart guy when it comes to programming. His YouTube channel has a ton of great information on there.

It's funny you mentioned his programming cause I deciced to actually sign up to see what it's all about.

Sure I could stay on Candito's program for X amount of cycles. The thing that really interested me with Garret was his AI Programming. The way it works is that you get 4 week microcyle training blocks. At the end of 4 weeks you send the excel sheet back with a questionairre and then get another 4 week microcycle that is adjusted based off your feedback and the first microcycle.

So it's an ever evolving tailored program that changes in terms of volume and fatigue. I liked this cause that's what seperates it from a cookie cutter program that doesn't address the lifters specific needs in terms of volume and fatigue.

I'm going to give it a 12 week run seeing as $1 for the first 4 week block then $28 for every 4 week block after isn't breaking the bank. After 12 weeks you have a test day and from there I'll decide if I want to continue or not.

He has two types of programming to choose from on the initial questionairre that you fill out prior to signing up. He has a powerlifting template and then a power building that focuses on strength and size. I opted to go with the power building. You pick which body part you want to focus on after the main lift(s) and I decided to choose back for the first 4 weeks.

My first day is scheduled to start next monday and needeless to say I'm excited to start. Here is how day 1 will go down.

Face Pull 3x30
Low Bar squat 10x2 @ 72.5%
Wide Grip Bench 4x5 @60%

I'll be training 5 days a week with this microcycle.

That is very interesting and I'm definitely curious to see how it goes for you.  Honestly after looking at his website last night and this morning I was tempted to sign up for his AI training too.  For that price, $1 first month and $28 after, it definitely seems like a great value.

Edit: I just saw a video on Brandon Campbell Diamond's YouTube channel where Garret talks about programming in general and then talks a little about his AI programming.  It definitely has me interested.  Btw, the beginning of  the video shows his name as Garret "Blessings" but it was Blevins in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEZtSmCB8a8
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 10:56:58 AM by ptreyesgreg »
If you don't find the limit you don't have to answer that question...you have no limit.
- Brian Shaw

If in doubt, squat and run hills. So you walk into the gym and don't know what to do? Then squat and run hills. -Wendler

My Blog: https://slavinstrength.wordpress.com/

Offline Anthony21

• My YouTube
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2018, 10:23:03 AM »
Great workout yesterday Anthony. :)  That was a lot of good looking bench reps in your video.  I like your leg positioning and your arch...looks like a lot of potential power there.

I hadn't really heard of Garret Blevins programming before so after reading your previous posts I went and looked it up.  That does indeed look interesting and the cost seems very reasonable.  I'll be interested to see if you go that route what your programming looks like.

I'm definitely hoping it helps with my poverty bench lol.

Blevins is a very smart guy when it comes to programming. His YouTube channel has a ton of great information on there.

It's funny you mentioned his programming cause I deciced to actually sign up to see what it's all about.

Sure I could stay on Candito's program for X amount of cycles. The thing that really interested me with Garret was his AI Programming. The way it works is that you get 4 week microcyle training blocks. At the end of 4 weeks you send the excel sheet back with a questionairre and then get another 4 week microcycle that is adjusted based off your feedback and the first microcycle.

So it's an ever evolving tailored program that changes in terms of volume and fatigue. I liked this cause that's what seperates it from a cookie cutter program that doesn't address the lifters specific needs in terms of volume and fatigue.

I'm going to give it a 12 week run seeing as $1 for the first 4 week block then $28 for every 4 week block after isn't breaking the bank. After 12 weeks you have a test day and from there I'll decide if I want to continue or not.

He has two types of programming to choose from on the initial questionairre that you fill out prior to signing up. He has a powerlifting template and then a power building that focuses on strength and size. I opted to go with the power building. You pick which body part you want to focus on after the main lift(s) and I decided to choose back for the first 4 weeks.

My first day is scheduled to start next monday and needeless to say I'm excited to start. Here is how day 1 will go down.

Face Pull 3x30
Low Bar squat 10x2 @ 72.5%
Wide Grip Bench 4x5 @60%

I'll be training 5 days a week with this microcycle.

That is very interesting and I'm definitely curious to see how it goes for you.  Honestly after looking at his website last night and this morning I was tempted to sign up for his AI training too.  For that price, $1 first month and $28 after, it definitely seems like a great value.

Edit: I just saw a video on Brandon Campbell Diamond's YouTube channel where Garret talks about programming in general and then talks a little about his AI programming.  It definitely has me interested.  Btw, the beginning of  the video shows his name as Garret "Blessings" but it was Blevins in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEZtSmCB8a8

I believe Blessings is a nickname for him seeing as I believe he's religious but I could be wrong. I do know his last name is Blevins though.

It's pretty damn cheap seeing as what you're getting vs what's out there.

Offline Anthony21

• My YouTube
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2018, 12:06:10 PM »
Mar 18, 2018 C1 W1 D1

Squat @ 72.5%
230x2 @6
230x2 @6
230x2 @6
230x2 @6
230x2 @6
230x2 @6
230x2 @6
230x2 @6
230x3 @6
230x3 @6
230x3 @6

Face pulls
25x30
25x30
25x30

Wide grip bench @ 60%
135x5 @5.5
135x5 @5.5
135x5 @5.5
135x5 @5.5
135x5 @5.5

https://youtu.be/IutOxtKBbRo

Summary: So I decided to sign up to get programming from Garret Blevins as I mentioned above. The start date for the new training block (4 week microcycles) was suppose to start today. I was at home itching to get into the gym so I just started day 1 yesterday afternoon.

I haven't tested maxes for a while so my maxes I provided were a good guess where I think I am.

Squat- 320, Bench- 225, Deadlift-420

The cool thing about the AI Programming is the real time adjustments that can be made based on how you're feeling that day (fatigue level rating). So Garret has a 1-10 scale on your fatigue for that particular training day. Prior to training you rate your fatigue level for that day for the movements scheduled. Based on your rating your actual sets get adjusted.

For example yesterday I had squats for 10x2 and bench for 4x5 with a fatigue level defaulted at 5 (average fatigue and soreness, you are somewhat unmotivated towards this movement). Well my actual fatigue level was around 1-2 so the programming added a set to make it 11x2 for squats and 5x5 for bench.

This is a pretty cool feature that really plays to the individual and how they are feeling that day, along with helping auto regulate volume.

This week is almost going to be a deload week so to speak. Since I'm starting a new program the weights aren't going to be heavy in terms of intensity which is fine by me. I know in time it's going to ramp up. My squat felt solid as did my wide grip bench (ring finger on rings). I'm also trying to rate the RPE on the main barbell movements though the programming doesn't call for it. It only calls for an RPE on the accessory work. I figure in time this will help me get better at RPE.

Today I have some pause deadlifts and back accessories.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 01:46:26 PM by Anthony21 »

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2018, 01:23:06 PM »
Great start buddy, lots of doubles to ball the ball rolling. Interesting fatigue management system in the program, sounds pretty cool.
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \

Offline Anthony21

• My YouTube
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2018, 01:48:12 PM »
Great start buddy, lots of doubles to ball the ball rolling. Interesting fatigue management system in the program, sounds pretty cool.

Tons of doubles lol. I was surprised with how I had a nice quad pump given the low rep work.

I definitely like the fatigue management that's built into the program and excel sheet. It'll be interesting to see how things go with that once the weights start getting heavier. I can see it definitely being a benefit to auto regulate yourself.

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2018, 02:19:17 PM »
Great looking workout Anthony.  I like the setup you've got there.  It looks like you're building up some good sub-max volume there across all those sets.

Btw, after reading your posts about AI training and doing some more research I decided to follow your lead, and pull the trigger and sign up for the AI training too.  I started my new block today but have been swamped at work and haven't had the chance to post it yet.  I'm glad you posted about this programming...it's a great match for what I've been looking for.
If you don't find the limit you don't have to answer that question...you have no limit.
- Brian Shaw

If in doubt, squat and run hills. So you walk into the gym and don't know what to do? Then squat and run hills. -Wendler

Offline Anthony21

• My YouTube
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2018, 02:33:25 PM »
Great looking workout Anthony.  I like the setup you've got there.  It looks like you're building up some good sub-max volume there across all those sets.

Btw, after reading your posts about AI training and doing some more research I decided to follow your lead, and pull the trigger and sign up for the AI training too.  I started my new block today but have been swamped at work and haven't had the chance to post it yet.  I'm glad you posted about this programming...it's a great match for what I've been looking for.

That's how you get stronger right? Build up volume through sub max work, at least I hope in my case lol.

That's awesome you signed up man. I'm sure you're going to like it a lot. There is also a Facebook group that you can join and ask any questions. Garret posts there often as well among the other members of the group. He also can be reached by email if you have any questions also.

Are you going to be using the program to prep for your meet?

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2018, 07:16:24 PM »

That's how you get stronger right? Build up volume through sub max work, at least I hope in my case lol.

That's awesome you signed up man. I'm sure you're going to like it a lot. There is also a Facebook group that you can join and ask any questions. Garret posts there often as well among the other members of the group. He also can be reached by email if you have any questions also.

Damn straight about the sub max volume work.  I agree that's the best way to get stronger.  Anytime I stop doing that and start working closer to my maxes leads me to injury.

I am going to use the AI programming leading into my meet.  It asked me for my meet date in the questionnaire and started me on a meet peak progression.  I think it'll work well and I was happy to get started with it.
- Brian Shaw

Offline Anthony21

• My YouTube
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2018, 11:20:24 PM »

Damn straight about the sub max volume work.  I agree that's the best way to get stronger.  Anytime I stop doing that and start working closer to my maxes leads me to injury.

I am going to use the AI programming leading into my meet.  It asked me for my meet date in the questionnaire and started me on a meet peak progression.  I think it'll work well and I was happy to get started with it.

Thatís awesome man. Iím glad you signed up and looking forward to your gains and progress.

Offline Anthony21

• My YouTube
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2018, 08:10:40 PM »
So....I know I mentioned this new programming service or what not. I opted out of it for a couple reasons. Main thing is financially. I honestly don't feel like paying month to month for programming. Other part to that is I don't even think I'm at that level to need to pay monthly for some programming. Also some other financial obligations came up that take precedents over this.

Other reason being I like to be able to handle my own accessory work and do what I feel like doing and not feel restricted cause I have to follow a program. I always say don't be a victim of programming jumping but my dumbass is a prime example of that in this case.

Nonetheless I'm sticking with what I've been doing which is Candito's 6 week strength program for my squat and deadlift. My bench I'm still running the program I received from my buddy who owns the gym I go to. I may in the future venture back to this but time will tell. For now I'm enjoying the programs I'm running and need to be consistent and follow the course.

I know PTrey though who signed up is going to be in for a world of gains so glad he's going to stick with it. I'll be able to follow his log and see the program go to work for him.

Mar 17, 2018 C1 W2 D3

Band pull aparts
0x50 Red efts band
0x20 Red efts band
0x30 Red efts band
*100 total reps

Duffalo Bench
175x5 @6
175x5 @6
175x5 @6
175x5 @6
175x5 @6

Dumbbell Row
85x15
85x15
85x15
85x12
85x12

Cable overhead extension
50x12
30x15
40x15
40x15
40x12
40x10

Dumbbell shrugs
80x12
80x10
80x10
80x10

[youtube]-XLTUBjF11w[/youtube][/quote]

Summary: I really like the Duffalo Bench. You feel a bigger stretch at the bottom due to it putting you at a 2" deficit due to the bow in the bar. I'm hoping it pays off and has a good carry over to my comp bench come test day.

Offline Dave

• Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 187
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2018, 08:30:19 PM »
I'd have a hard time justifying paying for programming to be honest and mainly for the reasons you've stated.  For me as a recreational lifter I can't be bothered. Candito's program is awesome anyway.  After the meet in April I have my eyes on his new deadlift program at some point since deads to me are my worst lift.  I've run JC6W 3x I think and have always gotten a lot out of it (after week 2 lol)
☻/
/ \

Spring Supremacy 2017 - 275, 235, 430 - 940 total 212 lbs
Spring Supremacy 2018 - 295, 240, 405 - 940 total 196 lbs

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2018, 08:47:22 PM »
Solid upper session Anthony, would love to try out the Duffalo bar at some point in my life. So damn expensive to buy one for the home gym.
Was watching your squat and deads vid on the tube, such tight form and great looking lifts buddy.
☻/
/ \

Offline Anthony21

• My YouTube
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2018, 08:51:53 PM »
I'd have a hard time justifying paying for programming to be honest and mainly for the reasons you've stated.  For me as a recreational lifter I can't be bothered. Candito's program is awesome anyway.  After the meet in April I have my eyes on his new deadlift program at some point since deads to me are my worst lift.  I've run JC6W 3x I think and have always gotten a lot out of it (after week 2 lol)

I definitely enjoy his programming. I remember the first time I ran his 6 week strength program back in 2014 I believe. I ran it for 7 cycles into my 2nd powerlifting meet. It got me my first 500lb pull in a meet.

It's always a program I've gone back to and for good reason. I take my training seriously but at the same time I don't feel I'm at that level to justify an added monthly cost. I'm enjoying the program so might as well stick with it until the wheels fall off.

Offline Anthony21

• My YouTube
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2018, 09:29:15 PM »
Solid upper session Anthony, would love to try out the Duffalo bar at some point in my life. So damn expensive to buy one for the home gym.
Was watching your squat and deads vid on the tube, such tight form and great looking lifts buddy.

Unfortunately a lot of Chris Duffin's stuff is expensive and or completely over priced i.e. his Kabuki Power Bar but that's a different subject lol.

I definitely like the bar though and hope it has a carry over to my comp bench.

My form is always a work in progress as I'm sure it's like that with all of us but thanks man.