Author Topic: Merkley's guide to pretend lifting  (Read 71195 times)

Offline Merkley

• I pretend to lift from time to time.
  • Height: 5'6
  • Weight: Whatever the mirror tells me...which is fat most days
Re: Merkley's guide to pretend lifting
« Reply #1125 on: April 21, 2018, 11:35:14 AM »
Last night was back and shoulders hypertrophy day.

It was ok.

That really all I have to say about it.

Seated Rows - 4x8
 Rack Chins- 3x8
 Seated Cable rows - 3x8
 FLEX shrugs 2x15 (345 lbs)
 Close grip pulldowns- 2x15
 Seated Press 3x10
 Upright Rows 2x15
 Side Lat D-bell raises 3x12

~FIN~
“No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training… what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1126 on: April 21, 2018, 07:00:17 PM »
Tonight's training went well.

It was hypertrophy chest and arms. Everything went fairly well, although it most was a huge blur of getting shit done. I got there a little later than I would have liked and had to hurry through everything before they closed.

I did lots of chest and lots of arms.

training journal done.
“No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training… what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1127 on: April 23, 2018, 09:04:15 AM »
Happy Monday...if there is such a thing.

Saturday night I did a sleep study. What a shit show that was, fuck. The place was nice, staff was great, but seriously how the fuck do you sleep when you have over 20 wires hooked up all over your body, 2 chest straps, etc??! I did my best, barely slept. I spent more time staring at the blinds on the windows waiting for the sun to come up, and the 2 red rings around the surveillance camera.

It was one of the longest nights of my life (or so it felt). When I was paged it was time to get up I couldn't have been happier.

I suppose it didn't help my fur baby had the shits the night prior and I was up all night with her. So two nights with no sleep really beat the shit outta me. Then I had a fun filled day of shopping yesterday, ugh. Though on a good note I did get to spend some good quality time with my wife, got some new smelly's from bath and bodyworks, and a new pair of shoes. 

Week 6 is now over and we are now into week 7.

Current weight is 223.6 as of this morning and holding at 23.5% BF. This past week no real changes were made like I had wanted to. I decided to keep doing what I've been doing and see how I responded. Well I'm hovering around the same weight and BF% so I'd call it a safe bet in adjusting my caloric intake.

It is now 9:03 am and I've had enough of work today.

As Russell Peters would put it.

"Someone gonna get a hurt"
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1128 on: April 24, 2018, 02:32:35 PM »
Last night was power upper body, it went ok.

Mrs.M and I went in did our thing (and no not "that" thing) at the gym, then walked to the grocery store for some items and then made our way home.

– Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1129 on: April 25, 2018, 07:34:11 AM »
Last night was power leg day.

My performance was fucking garbage. The whole workout I had the mindset I just wanted to be home and not at the gym. I went through the motions and did what had to be done I guess. I was either down on weight or struggling to do what I have been doing.

Leg Press - 3x3
 Leg Press - 2x6
 Leg Extensions - 2x6
 SLDL - 3x5
 Leg Curl - 2x6
 Calf Raises - 5x6

Most of those sets for 6 reps are normally 10, and my reps of 3 are normally 6-10 with more weight. I literally did the bare minimum.

Tonight is my night off. Regardless if it was or wasn't I wouldn't be able to go to the gym. I have a company function I have been voluntold to be at.

On a positive note, at least I went.

– Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1130 on: April 30, 2018, 09:58:30 AM »
Things have been a little hectic here and I haven't really had the time to do my morning posts. By the time I am done the I completely forget to do it.

Last weeks training picked up a bit. I had to cram 2 workouts into 1 yesterday mind you.

Nutrition is going well, not a 100% perfect but going well as I said.

Weight is 223 lbs and BF is holding at 23%

I still haven't made any dietary adjustments.

Today begins week 8.
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1131 on: May 02, 2018, 01:00:45 PM »
221 lbs this morning

Training went well last night! It was upper body power and I'm slowly making improvements for reps and weight. Afterwards Mrs. M and I went for a nice walk enjoying the well wanted good weather.

I slept like a sack of assholes which sucked. But these are the breaks...(break it up, break it up, break it up, breakdown)

Hope everyone is having a great day!
 – Socrates

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #1132 on: May 05, 2018, 08:17:02 AM »
Week 8 already, time flies when u are are having fun. Consistency will pay off buddy, keep grinding!
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1133 on: May 07, 2018, 06:59:13 AM »
Last week as hectic, really hectic. However, I managed to get my training in. Nutrition has sucked the back to be honest. I'm not eating poorly in food choices rather I'm not eating enough.

This morning I weighed in at 225 lbs. Most likely water retention and eating heavy last night.

We are now into week 9.
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1134 on: May 08, 2018, 09:18:42 AM »
20 min cardio last night.

I've been adding 20 min of bike work (LISS) for thing before I train. This is more for blood flow and to get my knees warmed up, plus I tend to feel a little better after the fact.

I had some running around to do last night that took longer than I had anticipated so the gym session was cut short to just the bike. Tonight everything is looking clear, so Mrs.M and I are going to go smash some upper body. It's been awesome seeing Mrs/M back in the gym after so many years off. So now I'm passing along the knowledge I have obtained in the time she was away.

What I love the most though...is the nice walks we have after the gym. There is something about it I really like.

Alright, gotta run.
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1135 on: May 10, 2018, 09:38:53 PM »
Tonight was the first night I had a chance to really go to the gym. Last night we were all set to go and it would seem my sister needed a shoulder to cry on, just so happens it had to be mine.

So tonight was power upper body and it went really well.

Bent over rows 225x3x3
 Pull ups BWx8x2
 Chin ups BWx10x2
 Bench Barx40, 135x3, 185x3, 225x3, 245x3, 265x3, 285x1, 305x1.
 Dips BWx10x2
 Shoulder Press 140x10x3
 Preacher Curls 110x6x3
 Tri Pressdown 140x10x3

FIN

Improvements are being made. Tonight was the easiest 305 has ever felt, no shit. That 350 bench isn't looking so impossible anymore.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 09:40:27 PM by Merkley »
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1136 on: May 15, 2018, 09:25:14 AM »
The remainder of the week turned into being very uneventful. No training and nutrition went off track a little bit, not horrific. I just didn't track my food although keeping similar eating habits.

I kicked off week 10 by not going to the gym and instead spending 2 hours on the phone with my brother.
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1137 on: May 21, 2018, 11:30:06 AM »
Happy Long weekend, at least to those that get to have one.

Training last week went ok-ish. Diet was poo.

I did try a 1 rep max on deads, that was a joke....I managed a meager 365 for a a few 1 rep sets. I have alot of work to do to get my deads to something of worth again. My biggest issue was grip, I just had no grip strength whatsoever.

Also I think my fat ass has finally gone to a whole new level. I broke my fuckin' scale, no shit.

I think this is a sign.....

This forever unsuccessful cutting phase has to stop and I need to be successful.

Back to the drawing board again today.

Hope you're all having a great weekend/work day!
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1138 on: May 22, 2018, 11:01:56 AM »
Yesterday's workout went really well actually.

Rows - 200x5x3
 Pull ups - BW (230)x6x2
 Chin ups - BWx8x2
 Bench - 250x5x3
 Seated Military Press - 135x10x3
 Dips - BWx10x2
 Preacher Curl - 100x10x3
 V-bar Pressdowns - 170x10x3 (+20 lbs)

So yeah, I managed to fix my scale...FFS. Anyways I'm 230 @24%BF

So starts week 11.
 – Socrates

Offline Merkley

« Reply #1139 on: May 24, 2018, 07:49:43 AM »
Another good workout in the books. Things didn't go as planned, instead I decided to stray from the path and do something fun!

Bike 10 min
 Seated Rows - 50x10,90x10x2
 Bench - Barx20, 135x5, 185x3, 225x3, 245x1, 275x1, 300x1, 315x1, 315x2, 335x2

The last 2 sets were massive PR's!!!

8)

Mrs.M was there to spot for the last set, the look of fear in her eyes...poor girl. Best part is when I got to 315 I had a guy approach asking if I needed a spot. I kindly declined....and then went and asked Mrs.M to spot. She then reminded me that this guy was willing to help. I told her this,

"I trust you"

She totally understood and took position accordingly.

The secondary to this is had I killed myself doing this at least she would have been the last person I would be seeing and not some random dudes crotch!

Today shoulders =DED!

Anyways, have a great day everyone!

– Socrates