Author Topic: RPS Mid-Atlantic States/Military Championship  (Read 9034 times)

Offline doughnutgut

Re: RPS Mid-Atlantic States/Military Championship
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2014, 08:37:16 PM »
Been itching to get home and watch these mate.

Got to take my hat off to you. Huge respect and also jelly as hell that you were up there pushing yourself and also the fact that you boshed out some seriously impressive PRs.

The first nail is in the board. The bug is possibly well and truly taken you in. Good to hear you had a great time as well. Well worth the signing up.

Loved the vids. The encouragement from the crowd on the failed bench was great. Really must of given you an extra drive.

Again. Congratulations mate.

Offline BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: fluffy
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2014, 08:59:34 PM »
Been itching to get home and watch these mate.

Got to take my hat off to you. Huge respect and also jelly as hell that you were up there pushing yourself and also the fact that you boshed out some seriously impressive PRs.

The first nail is in the board. The bug is possibly well and truly taken you in. Good to hear you had a great time as well. Well worth the signing up.

Loved the vids. The encouragement from the crowd on the failed bench was great. Really must of given you an extra drive.

Again. Congratulations mate.
Thanks, mate!  Weird thing is, I didn't hear a thing other than the ref saying "take it".  It's funny how you can focus so much and turn everything off.  I just remember staring at the bar thinking, "why in the fuck did you stop?  Move dammit!"  It felt fast off my chest but I guess I have to work on my tricep drive more or as Dave Tate would say, "Maybe you need to learn how to bench". :D  I'm a newb, and I have nothing but big-ass gains ahead.  My deadlifting needs work and I think it is form related.  Once I figure out my setup and form, I think that will skyrocket well over 400.  Squat? Well, that's an easy fix.  Squat, squat, squat.  I'm going to incorporate box squats once I finish my box I'm building.  It stands an amazing 10" tall so I'll be padding it with sheets of leftover rubber from my platform build.  I think I needed 11" for a past-parallel squat (yeah, I got short legs).  I'll also do variations to build mass.  My legs are still skinny IMO and I probably squat more then people would think looking at my legs.

Online FLEX

• Administrator
  • Elite Poster
  • B. M. O. C.
  • Height: 5' 10.5"
  • Weight: 270+
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2014, 09:09:31 PM »
Weird thing is, I didn't hear a thing other than the ref saying "take it".  It's funny how you can focus so much and turn everything off.  I just remember staring at the bar thinking, "why in the fuck did you stop?  Move dammit!"

Dude....EXACTLY the same thing when I failed on my 315 last year.

I heard someone say "take it" and I was like wtf?  that's it?

Next time we'll both do better.  I promise.
Powerlifting Meet Bests:

2018.04.28:  620 Squat, 345 Bench, 615 Dead   |  1580 Total
2017.04.29:  610 Squat, 325 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1535 Total
2016.04.22:  600 Squat, 330 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1530 Total
2015.08.09:  600 Squat, 320 Bench, 600 Dead   |  1520 Total

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 203
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2014, 09:20:34 PM »
I was glad they took it on my 320 attempt, that damn bar was just not going anywhere :o

Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Offline sakustoms

• Veteran
  • OVER HERE GETTING FAT!!!!
  • Height: 5'-6"
  • Weight: 157
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2014, 09:28:08 PM »
I was glad they took it on my 320 attempt, that damn bar was just not going anywhere :o

You guys are making me feel weak. lol 

I knocked out 6 reps at 245 flat bench ( totally surprised myself ) and thought "what the hell, thrown on another 10 lbs". Bar went down, bar stayed down.  :o
Eric

Squat - 255 :(
DL - 375
OHP - 130
Bench - 275

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2014, 09:33:51 PM »
lulz. Here is my 320 fail:

320 Phail RPS NYS Champs 2013

On another note isn't the equipment great? The material on the benches is perfect, I've been sliding around on vinyl benches lately and incline presses on my home gym push me off the bench. Love the RPS stuff.

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Offline Little Tim

• Updated profile pic
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: 2-frickin' fluffy-40
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2014, 10:19:00 PM »
Late to the party,  and have nothing to add but to echo everyone else in that:

Awesomeness! 
Can't wait to see how 3 months down the road has changed in August.  I'm sure that with the first one out of the way, the next one will be building on that one even better.

Rock on!

Offline BLK00TJ

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2014, 11:45:11 PM »
lulz. Here is my 320 fail:

320 Phail RPS NYS Champs 2013

On another note isn't the equipment great? The material on the benches is perfect, I've been sliding around on vinyl benches lately and incline presses on my home gym push me off the bench. Love the RPS stuff.

It is good, but squishy.  My home bench has the same liner but is very firm.  The first time I used it I was having a hard time getting setup because I was so used to sliding into place.  Then I figured out how to set my shoulders and move my hips to create an arch.  I kinda like theirs better because it seems to lock the shoulder blades in perfect.  You can feel like you are pushing your back into the bench on the press.

The bars?  WOW.  Squat bars are fucking nice!  I was worried about the thickness of them but now I'm thinking of investing in one some day.  And talk about knurling?  My back feels like I have a sunburn from three reps on that thing.   That is callous building knurling there!

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2014, 12:07:13 AM »

The bars?  WOW.  Squat bars are fucking nice!  I was worried about the thickness of them but now I'm thinking of investing in one some day.  And talk about knurling?  My back feels like I have a sunburn from three reps on that thing.   That is callous building knurling there!

I liked the DL bar, small and knurled perfectly, I think those bars are 6-8 hundred bucks.

DIEL?

Offline BLK00TJ

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2014, 12:16:53 AM »

I liked the DL bar, small and knurled perfectly, I think those bars are 6-8 hundred bucks.
Yeah, I'm not going to invest that much.  My Cap bar knurling feels about the same without the flex but it's that squat bar I'm dreaming of.  $445 for a texas squat bar might be doable if I can hide it from the wife. :D  I have a goal of a 405x1 squat to make a t-shirt that says "As a matter of fact, I do know squat".  Maybe I'll make another goal of 495x1 for a bar.

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2014, 12:42:48 AM »
Set goals, get PR's

At the Arnold a Vendor had 20 different bars, not one was made of the cheap steal in my gyms, every one was like a work of art.

I grabbed almost all of them, they were good hand candy, hate cheap bars

DIEL?

Offline BLK00TJ

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2014, 12:56:51 AM »
Set goals, get PR's

At the Arnold a Vendor had 20 different bars, not one was made of the cheap steal in my gyms, every one was like a work of art.

I grabbed almost all of them, they were good hand candy, hate cheap bars
I hear you on that.  Think Gene would sell off one of his used bars?  The one I lifted had some rust.  He needs new bars i think. :graucho:

When I went to the York, PA IPA meet in March, they used Arctic Wolf bars.  I looked them up when I got home.  HOLY F!  They are over 1k for a squat bar and 800-850 for bench-deadlift bars respectively.  Now I'm all with buying good stuff if you use it, but that's insane for home use.  I'd just like the thickness and knurling that won't bend with 500# on the bar.

Offline AlexanderOmand

• Site Champion
  • Built Like Keg
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Weight: Gaining....
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2014, 09:34:37 AM »
I've missed out on the party last night, with all the Congrats Flying around.

Seriously, you stepped up and did Awesome.

Smashed PR's, took a stand like a Boss, and did something very few others have done.  You'll look at the Gym slightly different from now on. After the first one, you start thinking and envisioning the next one.  They come up fast.  97 days and It'll be big time with all of us up there on the Platform.  I'm damn excited for all of us to compete at the same time. 

Where to start? the videos looked great.  You were worried that you'd miss out and no one would shoot them.  Powerlifting is like a family.  No one is there to Beat anyone, they are there to support, push and encourage each other.  Every one wants to see each lifter go All Out and hit a PR.

One very interesting effect of the Platform, is that even though there's a huge crowd out in front of you watching and yelling, you never seem to see or hear them.  I told that to Flex when he was nervous before his first squat.  After his first squat, he couldn't tell me where Lisa was in the crowd.  She was about 15 feet in front of him.  All that outside of the Bar in your hands, and the judge in front of you, goes away.  It's simply a dull roar in your ears and an echo in your mind.

RPS is great, because they do think of the lifters first.  All the warm-up equipment is the same as it is on the Platform.  That Bar for squatting, is new.  Flex and Bando haven't been under that one yet.  Gene and Ame put on a great Meet, and it always runs smooth.  Those spotters/loaders earn their money. 

I'm betting you're more sore today than you have been in a very long time.  I know after every Meet I feel like I've been run over.

Now, you've got the addiction.  You'll be thinking of the next one, and running it through your thoughts while you do mundane things around the house.

And just to poke the Bear, what are you opening with in August? :D

Congrats, again.  Impressive and Well worth the adulation.

Edit: Like the new Avi.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 10:05:39 AM by Deralta »
Do not fear The Iron, for it does not care.
The Iron is Resolute in Purpose, Steadfast in Intent, Unwavering in Desire, and Immovable in Stature.
Unless acted upon by a Superior Force.
Squat: 545; Bench: 350; Deadlift: 610; Total: 1490

Offline rangerNY

• That rug really tied the room together
  • Height: 6'0"
  • Weight: 210 lbs
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2014, 09:56:02 AM »
FREAKIN AWESOME.  VERY well done.  Any time you can stand up in front of your peers and take your very best shot at anything, its a damn good day.  I'll definitely be following along in your journal as you prep for the next one.
- Drew

"Remember that guy that gave up?  Neither does anyone else."

Offline BLK00TJ

« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2014, 10:50:56 AM »
I've missed out on the party last night, with all the Congrats Flying around.

Seriously, you stepped up and did Awesome.

Smashed PR's, took a stand like a Boss, and did something very few others have done.  You'll look at the Gym slightly different from now on. After the first one, you start thinking and envisioning the next one.  They come up fast.  97 days and It'll be big time with all of us up there on the Platform.  I'm damn excited for all of us to compete at the same time. 

Where to start? the videos looked great.  You were worried that you'd miss out and no one would shoot them.  Powerlifting is like a family.  No one is there to Beat anyone, they are there to support, push and encourage each other.  Every one wants to see each lifter go All Out and hit a PR.

One very interesting effect of the Platform, is that even though there's a huge crowd out in front of you watching and yelling, you never seem to see or hear them.  I told that to Flex when he was nervous before his first squat.  After his first squat, he couldn't tell me where Lisa was in the crowd.  She was about 15 feet in front of him.  All that outside of the Bar in your hands, and the judge in front of you, goes away.  It's simply a dull roar in your ears and an echo in your mind.

RPS is great, because they do think of the lifters first.  All the warm-up equipment is the same as it is on the Platform.  That Bar for squatting, is new.  Flex and Bando haven't been under that one yet.  Gene and Ame put on a great Meet, and it always runs smooth.  Those spotters/loaders earn their money. 

I'm betting you're more sore today than you have been in a very long time.  I know after every Meet I feel like I've been run over.

Now, you've got the addiction.  You'll be thinking of the next one, and running it through your thoughts while you do mundane things around the house.

And just to poke the Bear, what are you opening with in August? :D

Congrats, again.  Impressive and Well worth the adulation.

Edit: Like the new Avi.
You are correct, I will look at the gym in a whole new light now.  Knowing I had this competition ahead of me fueled my workouts leading up to it.  Now I have it to think on as well as the next for more fuel and motivation.  I refused to skip workouts based on the "I don't feel up to it and will just do it tomorrow" mentality.  I only delayed when I had to for work or family obligations and I picked up where I left off.  No leg days skipped.

Everyone that I met there was great from the big elite level guys down to the newbs like me.  We all cheered each other on and fist bumps were flying from everywhere after lifts.

That bar was sweet.  I exaggerate about the rust, but man, that was a well-made bar.  I didn't care much for the bench uprights though.  Since if forces the bar down to the front, it makes the lift off have to come up and out instead of just being able to pull the bar out.  I usually pull from the back so it clears the front of the cup as it arcs up. That worried me a little but the hand off guy did a great job for me.  Spotters I get at my gym seem to like to pull me off the bench lifting up too hard.

Soreness?  Oh yeah.  I'm on deload this week no doubt.  My chest is a little tender as are my quads.  My back feels worse than any of my 20 set deadlift sessions I did leading up to the meet.  It reminds me of my highschool wrestling days when we'd have 2-3 hours a day practice sessions going hard and I was never sore.  Then our matches would last 6 minutes but I felt like I was in a car accident the next day.  Competition really pulls something out from you that's not there during training.  The deload this week is a good idea since it will lead to a deload the week prior to the August meet on my program. 

Openers for August?  If all goes well and barring injuries I will open higher than yesterdays numbers.  My training max for the cycle prior will be 325/240/365 which is based off of 90% 1RM which so far I've been exceeding.  My last cycle training maxes were 295/225/335 which was about what my openers were.
FREAKIN AWESOME.  VERY well done.  Any time you can stand up in front of your peers and take your very best shot at anything, its a damn good day.  I'll definitely be following along in your journal as you prep for the next one.
Thanks man!  I keep up with your journal looking for inside tips I can use.  Your number are going to explode soon no doubt with that coaching you are able to get.