Author Topic: Andrew's Big 3 Journal  (Read 24212 times)

Online Andrew

• Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 217
Re: Andrew's Big 3 Journal
« Reply #930 on: December 16, 2017, 01:17:01 AM »
Think I would blow a sprocket attempting a side lunge, zero adductor flexibility crew! Great job hammering through will feeling like smashed arseholes being violated by a the silverback!

haha..my lunges have a pretty weak ROM, but i'm surprised that my knees and everything seems to tolerate them. I get sore on the outside of my glutes and area just above my knees. Definitely working some different muscle groups

Think I would blow a sprocket attempting a side lunge, zero adductor flexibility crew! Great job hammering through will feeling like smashed arseholes being violated by a the silverback!
agreed.  especially the way my hip has been lately.  #oldmanproblems.

Good work Andrew.  set of 6 with a slow tempo is brutal!

the slow tempo sets are humbling. Even 135lb on bench gets heavy pretty quick if you slow it down enough
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \
Team RTS

Online Andrew

« Reply #931 on: December 16, 2017, 01:27:41 AM »
C1W2D4

Landmine rows, parallel handle attachment
35x10
50x10 @6
60x10 @7
75x10 @8
75x10 @8

Feet Up Bench
180x6 @6
185x6 @7
195x6 @8
195x6 @8.5 vid

Bus Drivers (landmine)
25x10
35x10 @7
35x10 @7
35x10 @8

Still sick with a head cold but i'm training right through it. Right elbow has some pain this week and i think it is from the high rep Pendlay rows. Because of this, I opted to switch to a parallel grip T-bar handle and did some light landmine rows. Was squeezing lats at top of each rep. Felt good with no irritation of the elbow. Bench went ok with minimal shoulder discomfort. I upped the weights on the top sets 15lb compared to last week. good sign that shoulder is getting stronger

2 days off and then starting a new week. Ross is giving me one more week identical to this because the shoulder is improving but not fully ready. However, i will be doing a low bar squat session next week to test out that bar position. We are trying to determine if low bar squats are irritating the shoulder.

Video
https://www.instagram.com/p/BcwCFOvHNDY/
☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #932 on: December 16, 2017, 08:34:49 AM »
Solid work buddy, your elbow is aching, my hip is aching today....fukkin geriatrics we are lol. Looks like the shoulder is getting a solid rebuild, some big bench PR's in the near future for you!
☻/
/ \

Online reduni

• Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 205
« Reply #933 on: December 17, 2017, 12:09:11 PM »
Good day in the gym Andrew. 195 for feet up bench is pretty impressive. I was having a little elbow pain from BOR's not too long ago as well. I think I moved my hands in about an inch and it helped. The joys of getting older.

I don't mind BB lunges but side lunges suck even without weight. I just feel so awkward. Good on you for getting it done.
the only easy day was yesterday

Online Andrew

« Reply #934 on: December 19, 2017, 12:57:34 AM »
Solid work buddy, your elbow is aching, my hip is aching today....fukkin geriatrics we are lol. Looks like the shoulder is getting a solid rebuild, some big bench PR's in the near future for you!

lets hope so. Shoulder is getting stronger but it's still off. Feels a little loose and different than the other one. Good news is the pain is subsiding so i do think i'm on the right path. Just need to be patient....And i suck at being patient  ;D

Good day in the gym Andrew. 195 for feet up bench is pretty impressive. I was having a little elbow pain from BOR's not too long ago as well. I think I moved my hands in about an inch and it helped. The joys of getting older.

I don't mind BB lunges but side lunges suck even without weight. I just feel so awkward. Good on you for getting it done.

thanks Rich, tonight i lowered the weight on the rows by 20lbs and tried to really row it with my back. Felt a little better. i feel weak with the Pendlays at the top part of the ROM

----------------------------------------

12-18-17
C1W3D1

another full week of the same programming. Pivot block should be over soon. Probably will see some new training after this week or the following week.

Highbar Squat, beltless
185x3
235x5 @5
255x5 @6
275x5 @7
295x5 @8.5

530 Tempo Highbar Squat, beltless
225x5 @7
245x5 @8
245x5 @8.5

Comp Bench
160x5
170x5 @6
180x5 @7
185x5 @7.5 pauses were shitty. need to work on this

530 Tempo Bench
145x5 @7.5
145x5 @7.5
150x5 @8

Pendlay Row
135x10 @6
145x10 @7
145x10 @7.5
145x10 @8

Went well, upped all the weights again from last week with similar RPE, except the rows which i decreased by 20lbs so i could focus on rowing with my back.

Squats
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc3ruF5n8Tp/?taken-by=ahpowerlifts

Bench
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc3y_eZndkD/?taken-by=ahpowerlifts

☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Online piperdown

• Veteran
  • Hey Guys! Wait for me!
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 189
« Reply #935 on: December 19, 2017, 07:50:12 AM »
Hope the shoulder continues to heal for you Andrew. After my slap tear and partial rotator cuff tear it's taken me almost a full year and I'm still not back where I was in Dec '16.
PS....your squats are NO JOKE  :o
Eric

Pork belly body......

Bench 305 pr
OHP 165 pr
Squat 315 pr
Deadlift 385 pr

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Blog
« Reply #936 on: December 19, 2017, 07:51:51 AM »
Good looking workout Andrew.  Man those tempo benches and squats look tough.  You did a great job with them.  That slow descent followed by a pause at the bottom  definitely looks like a challenge and a real strength builder.  I really like the looks of your programming so far.
Everybody's always in such a rush all the time...I can't fake where I'm at...you're just where you're at. -Mark Bell

If in doubt, squat and run hills. So you walk into the gym and don't know what to do? Then squat and run hills. -Wendler

My Blog: https://slavinstrength.wordpress.com/

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
« Reply #937 on: December 19, 2017, 08:08:28 AM »
Highbars are looking tight Andrew and solid benching!!
☻/
/ \

Online reduni

« Reply #938 on: December 19, 2017, 11:08:39 AM »
Form is looking real tight Andrew. Slow sucks but it sure gives you time to think about what you're doing. You are moving some fantastic weight on highbar. You're really getting after it. Nice work

Online Dave

• Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 187
« Reply #939 on: December 19, 2017, 08:33:16 PM »
What are you thinking of the tempo squats?
☻/
/ \

Spring supremacy 2017 - 275, 235, 430 - 940 total

Online Andrew

« Reply #940 on: December 20, 2017, 03:27:16 PM »
Hope the shoulder continues to heal for you Andrew. After my slap tear and partial rotator cuff tear it's taken me almost a full year and I'm still not back where I was in Dec '16.
PS....your squats are NO JOKE  :o

thanks, it seems to be getting stronger, just need to stay the course and not do anything stoopid. Easier said than done. Glad yours has gotten better. Sucks not being able to bench properly

Good looking workout Andrew.  Man those tempo benches and squats look tough.  You did a great job with them.  That slow descent followed by a pause at the bottom  definitely looks like a challenge and a real strength builder.  I really like the looks of your programming so far.

thanks, the tempo stuff is really hard, but i think it engrains a good movement pattern. If bar path is off, you will know it. Good movement to provide feedback. Also, with the squats, i get a good stretch in my adductors and hamstrings doing the slow tempo and pauses

Highbars are looking tight Andrew and solid benching!!

thanks, getting eager to see if any of it carries over to belted lowbar.

Form is looking real tight Andrew. Slow sucks but it sure gives you time to think about what you're doing. You are moving some fantastic weight on highbar. You're really getting after it. Nice work

time certainly slows down on the tempo work. The reps feel like they take forever and then watching them on the vid they look way faster. Especially pauses. Feels like a solid 3 sec and then on vid its barely a 1sec pause... :o

What are you thinking of the tempo squats?

good question--so far they make me think of dying, curling into a fetal position, crawling into a hole, etc...

no--srs, they are a good way to engrain a movement pattern, maintain tightness and balance, and stretch the muscles. I like them, but they are no fun

☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Online Andrew

« Reply #941 on: December 20, 2017, 03:41:09 PM »
12-19-17
C1W3D2
body weight: 214.9

Deadlift, belted
350x5
375x5 @5
400x5 @7
425x5 @8

530 Tempo Deadlift, beltless
255x5 @7.5
255x5 @8

Feet Up Bench
160x6
170x6 @6
185x6 @7.5
190x6 @8
190x6 @8.5

Ab wheel
x10
x5
x5
x5

Side Plank
40sec each side then 3x20sec each side

was struggling with tempo on the deads a little. On my 400lb set i was taking time to focus on set up and tightness off the floor for each rep but it made the set much harder. For the 425 set i decided to pick up the pace and attack the set, which made the set easier but my form was also sloppier.

☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Blog
« Reply #942 on: December 20, 2017, 07:15:18 PM »
Nice workout Andrew. :)  It sounds like the tempo work is paying off but it sounds tough on the deads.  You're in an interesting spot in that you were already strong at them so it sounds harder to step back and work up slowly reworking the form.  Luckily I don't have that problem...my deads have sucked forever so there was no stepping back. :D

On I side note I'm interested in those Feet Up benches.  Those sound like a great way to build up the bench.
Everybody's always in such a rush all the time...I can't fake where I'm at...you're just where you're at. -Mark Bell

If in doubt, squat and run hills. So you walk into the gym and don't know what to do? Then squat and run hills. -Wendler

My Blog: https://slavinstrength.wordpress.com/

Online reduni

« Reply #943 on: December 21, 2017, 10:46:57 AM »
Nice session Andrew. It's tough to relearn a movement. You tend to go back to what is comfortable or worked before. Certainly takes discipline to make it stick. I'm sure once you've done it for a while it will become second nature. Tempo deads must really suck. Looks like everything is moving along nicely though. I see you upped the ab wheel reps. I love it. It's a total core workout. I found when I first started it was hard on my low back  for a couple rounds till things strengthened  up to the movement.  I'm not up to standing yet. I'm not sure if I ever will be though ::)

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
« Reply #944 on: December 21, 2017, 11:25:14 PM »
Great looking session Andrew! 425 flew up, just a bit of tightness lost of the floor, but damn you are strong Viking!! Road to 600 is on!!
☻/
/ \