Author Topic: Andrew's Big 3 Journal  (Read 53663 times)

Offline Dave

• Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 187
Re: Andrew's Big 3 Journal
« Reply #915 on: December 08, 2017, 09:04:04 PM »
Been lurking you on IG bud! Program going well from the looks of it.
☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \

Spring Supremacy 2017 - 275, 235, 430 - 940 total 212 lbs
Spring Supremacy 2018 - 295, 240, 405 - 940 total 196 lbs

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
  • Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 215
« Reply #916 on: December 08, 2017, 09:19:58 PM »
Good workout Andrew.  That's great to see  that your shoulder is on the comeback.  Shoulder pain just plain sucks.  It looks like you have some good strength with your feet up.

I'm curious now...I have to go look for a video of bus drivers. :)

That's interesting too about the feedback on your deads.  In the past few sessions something clicked for me and I finally am bracing properly on deads.  I realized I haven't ever braced properly on them.
If you don't find the limit you don't have to answer that question...you have no limit.
- Brian Shaw

If in doubt, squat and run hills. So you walk into the gym and don't know what to do? Then squat and run hills. -Wendler

My Blog: https://slavinstrength.wordpress.com/

Offline Andrew

• Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 217
« Reply #917 on: December 09, 2017, 01:32:42 PM »
Great session Andyl Good the shoulder is feeling better, hope that continues to be the trend!  Bus drivers sound interesting, is that for shoulder rehab?

thanks, felt good to get a few decent sets in. what i'm battling is instability right now. It feels like if i'm not careful to stay super tight the shoulder doesn't track correctly and it puts pressure on the AC joint. Trying to get the stability back

Not exactly sure what the bus drivers are for, i looked up a vid and they are mainly an anti-rotation ab exercise. But there also may be some shoulder rehab effect with it also.

here is a vid,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4abKQjmeiU 

Been lurking you on IG bud! Program going well from the looks of it.

thanks, just rehab stuff now but i'm having fun with it. Looking forward to when the real training block starts

Good workout Andrew.  That's great to see  that your shoulder is on the comeback.  Shoulder pain just plain sucks.  It looks like you have some good strength with your feet up.

I'm curious now...I have to go look for a video of bus drivers. :)

That's interesting too about the feedback on your deads.  In the past few sessions something clicked for me and I finally am bracing properly on deads.  I realized I haven't ever braced properly on them.

thanks Greg, see link above for a vid on bus drivers. Easy to plate load to add loading. Seem to work the abs good.

Hearing about my deads was a bit of a hard pill to swallow because its been my best lift, but this is the benefit of getting good feeback from a PL coach, they dont sugar coat anything. It is what it is. With improper tension at the set up and back rounding at the start, the problem shows up at lock out. Off the floor is fine, but if the back isn't positioned properly, it makes the lock out very tough at higher loads. I think fixing this form issue will be key to moving my deadlift to the next level. (600lb  8))

glad to hear you are making breakthroughs with bracing on your deads, keep it up man

------------------

Resting this weekend, got my programming for next week. Nothing exciting, its just a repeat of last week
☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Take whats there in your training

Online reduni

• Weight: 205
« Reply #918 on: December 09, 2017, 04:42:02 PM »
Looks pretty good Andrew. I'm sure it's nice to have a real coach point out the flaws. There's lots of knowledgeable people here but none of us are coaches (that I know of). I knew about the weight coming off the floor when properly braced before and try and do that too. It's pretty neat actually.  It's funny that they said your hips are too low, it's usually the other way around. Sounds like some really smart dudes there. I'm sure once these fixes become second nature the weights will go up big time.
the only easy day was yesterday

RPS SS 2017 Squat 355 Bench 290 Deadlift 485

Online John

• Site Champion
  • Height: 73
« Reply #919 on: December 09, 2017, 09:45:09 PM »
Thats the same exact thing Ed Coan said to me - if youre tight enough the weight will come off the floor at lighter weight b4 the pull. I actually showed Bando this when he came to train at Herc.

Glad you have some eyes on your lifts. It will pay off in April!
1 set, 1 rep, 1 pound at a time

☻/
/▌ Bm2Bm crew (---Bench Moar to Bench Moar---)
/ \

Offline Dave

• Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 187
« Reply #920 on: December 11, 2017, 09:57:00 AM »
Thats the same exact thing Ed Coan said to me - if youre tight enough the weight will come off the floor at lighter weight b4 the pull. I actually showed Bando this when he came to train at Herc.

You showed me that as well and I've never truly been able to figure it out, especially past the first rep.  I really tried working on it last night during my paused deads.   I think I get to eager to get the set over and done with and rush too much.  Not a great strategy I know lol
☻/
/ \

Spring Supremacy 2017 - 275, 235, 430 - 940 total 212 lbs
Spring Supremacy 2018 - 295, 240, 405 - 940 total 196 lbs

Online Bando

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Poster
  • Strong Fat Guy
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Weight: 177
« Reply #921 on: December 11, 2017, 10:00:36 AM »

Hearing about my deads was a bit of a hard pill to swallow because its been my best lift, but this is the benefit of getting good feeback from a PL coach, they dont sugar coat anything. It is what it is. With improper tension at the set up and back rounding at the start, the problem shows up at lock out. Off the floor is fine, but if the back isn't positioned properly, it makes the lock out very tough at higher loads. I think fixing this form issue will be key to moving my deadlift to the next level. (600lb  8))

glad to hear you are making breakthroughs with bracing on your deads, keep it up man

------------------

Resting this weekend, got my programming for next week. Nothing exciting, its just a repeat of last week

Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 50-55, Squat, Deadlift, Total

World Record Holder, Raw Pro Classic, 45-49, Squat, Deadlift, Total

State Record Holder, Raw Pro, 45-49 & 50-55 Squat, Bench, Dead, Total, 45-49 Amateur Squat, Bench, Dead & Total

DIEL?

Offline Andrew

« Reply #922 on: December 14, 2017, 12:55:42 PM »
Looks pretty good Andrew. I'm sure it's nice to have a real coach point out the flaws. There's lots of knowledgeable people here but none of us are coaches (that I know of). I knew about the weight coming off the floor when properly braced before and try and do that too. It's pretty neat actually.  It's funny that they said your hips are too low, it's usually the other way around. Sounds like some really smart dudes there. I'm sure once these fixes become second nature the weights will go up big time.

It is nice to get some real feedback on form and i always welcome it. John Bacon has helped me a lot over the past few years too. For deadlifts, i am realizing just because it is my strongest lift doesnt mean its my best form-wise. I just happen to be stronger in that movement pattern, but there is a lot of work to be done to clean it up.

sweet--must be on the right track if the GOAT said the same thing to you. I tried it at higher loads last night and i think its helping. The hardest part for me is getting my back into proper extension. My back tries to round a little. I have to really squeeze my lats and chest up to get my back into extension

You showed me that as well and I've never truly been able to figure it out, especially past the first rep.  I really tried working on it last night during my paused deads.   I think I get to eager to get the set over and done with and rush too much.  Not a great strategy I know lol

I am struggling with the same thing. On a five rep set i only feel like im doing it right on the first few reps

------------------

haha...truth hurst sometimes

☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Offline Andrew

« Reply #923 on: December 14, 2017, 01:24:20 PM »
absent form this journal for a few days, here is my last 2 workouts:

12-11-17
C1W2D1

Highbar Squat, beltless
135x5
225x3
245x5 @6
265x5 @8
280x5 @8.5

530 Temp Highbar Squat, beltless
205x5 @7
225x5 @8
225x5 @8.5

Comp Bench
95x5
135x5
160x5
175x5 @7
185x5 @7.5
190x5 @8.5

530 Tempo Comp Bench
135x5 @7
145x5 @8
145x5 @8.5

Pendlay Row
145x10 @6
155x10 @7
165x10 @8
165x10 @9.5 gassed out here

Went well, upped all the weights from last week with similar RPE

----------------------

12-13-17
C1W2D2

Deadlift, belted
135x5
225x3
315x2
350x1
375x1
400x5 @7
415x5 @8

530 Tempo Deadlift, beltless
245x5 @7
245x5 @7

Feet Up Bench
barx5
95x5
135x5
155x3
165x2
175x6 @6
180x6 @6.5
185x6 @7.5
190x6 @8.5 lost tightness on last 2 reps
190x6 @8

Ab wheel
x6
x3
x3
x3

Side Plank
40sec
3x20sec

Vids:

415 deads and feet up bench
https://instagram.com/p/Bcq6NG-nLxr/

Will increase weight next time on the tempo deads. I think i'm getting winded due to the time under tension but probably sandbagging the RPE a little. Shoulder continuing to improve. Also, i decided to use a scale and weigh my plates. They are all heavy. The 45's weigh 45.6-46.0. The 35's are the most off, they weigh 36.8. The 25's weigh 25.4-26.0. I'm not going to account for this in my training, if anything it will help me a little when i get the the meet with calibrated stuff.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 01:27:22 PM by Andrew »
☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Online reduni

• Weight: 205
« Reply #924 on: December 14, 2017, 08:15:34 PM »
Nice work Andrew. Good to hear the shoulder is on the mend. Deads looked real strong. I can understand why you're gassed after tempo squats. The lack of O2 would wipe me out after all that TOT. That's how I feel when I'm into high rep deads. Are you doing the ab wheel standing? Bravo if so. You need vids of that if that's the case.
the only easy day was yesterday

RPS SS 2017 Squat 355 Bench 290 Deadlift 485

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #925 on: December 14, 2017, 09:48:44 PM »
Killer couple sessions Andy! Huge volume too! Deads are looking tight!
☻/
/ \

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Training Blog
« Reply #926 on: December 15, 2017, 07:27:46 AM »
Great looking workouts Andrew.  Those deads looked super smooth.  Those bench reps looked great too man...the feet up seem to be working well.
If you don't find the limit you don't have to answer that question...you have no limit.
- Brian Shaw

If in doubt, squat and run hills. So you walk into the gym and don't know what to do? Then squat and run hills. -Wendler

My Blog: https://slavinstrength.wordpress.com/

Offline Andrew

« Reply #927 on: December 15, 2017, 12:59:04 PM »
Nice work Andrew. Good to hear the shoulder is on the mend. Deads looked real strong. I can understand why you're gassed after tempo squats. The lack of O2 would wipe me out after all that TOT. That's how I feel when I'm into high rep deads. Are you doing the ab wheel standing? Bravo if so. You need vids of that if that's the case.

thanks, it think its my stamina on the Tempo deads that is getting tested, not necessarily the strength. I'm going to try upping the weight next week and see how it turns out. For the ab-wheel, definitely not doing it standing. I'm doing them from my knees and its still pretty ugly. I'm a bit overweight right now too, so that doesn't help any

Killer couple sessions Andy! Huge volume too! Deads are looking tight!

thanks Shawn, some progress being made on my deads for sure. Battling a head cold so this week in general hasnt felt great. Just trying to get through it and move some weight.

Great looking workouts Andrew.  Those deads looked super smooth.  Those bench reps looked great too man...the feet up seem to be working well.

thanks, the feet up benching is going well. Almost too good to be honest. It shows that i dont use my feet and leg drive like I should on the regular comp bench

----------------------------
C1W2D3
12-14-17

Barbell side lunges
BWx10
barx10
85x10 @5
90x10 @6
100x10 @7
100x10 @7

Band Assisted Pull Ups
(115lbs band assistance)
x10 @6
x10 @8
x10 @9
x10 @9.5

303 Tempo Bench
barx5
95x5
135x3
145x6 @7
150x6 @8
150x6 @8
160x6 @9

For some reason i find these harder than 530 tempo. The 160x6 set, i cheated it a bit and had more like a 202 tempo. Will need to keep working these and get better, they are tough.

Felt like shit this session. Have a head cold right now, just getting through it and moving some weight. Looking forward to better days

☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #928 on: December 15, 2017, 05:18:07 PM »
Think I would blow a sprocket attempting a side lunge, zero adductor flexibility crew! Great job hammering through will feeling like smashed arseholes being violated by a the silverback!
☻/
/ \

Offline BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: fluffy
« Reply #929 on: December 15, 2017, 10:16:58 PM »
Think I would blow a sprocket attempting a side lunge, zero adductor flexibility crew! Great job hammering through will feeling like smashed arseholes being violated by a the silverback!
agreed.  especially the way my hip has been lately.  #oldmanproblems.

Good work Andrew.  set of 6 with a slow tempo is brutal!