Author Topic: Andrew's Big 3 Journal  (Read 53667 times)

Offline Andrew

• Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 217
Re: Andrew's Big 3 Journal
« Reply #870 on: October 30, 2017, 11:56:02 PM »
thanks guys. 5 says out and did another session tonight. Mike T recommends working up to singles at 92% of your previous 1RM's on Monday and then working through warm ups to no greater than 80%1RM on Wednesday. This is far more aggressive of a deload than i have done before, but seeing how this is somewhat of an unplanned meet anyways, i am going to go with these numbers and see how i respond.

Squat
barx10
135x5
225x5
275x2
295x1
335x1 wraps
360x1 wraps, vid

Bench
barx10
95x5
135x5
165x3
185x1
205x1
220x1 vid

Deadlift
barx10
135x5
225x5
315x2
365x1
405x1
455x1
495x1 vid

Everything is moving good especially squats. I realized this deload session totaled 1075 which was my total from my first ever meet last Oct 2016. Good progress being made, one pound at a time but it is adding up.

☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \
Team RTS

Take whats there in your training

Online reduni

• Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 205
« Reply #871 on: November 01, 2017, 11:49:59 AM »
You're gonna smoke that comp Andrew. Everything looks like it's moving real well. Good luck again.
the only easy day was yesterday

RPS SS 2017 Squat 355 Bench 290 Deadlift 485

Offline Andrew

« Reply #872 on: November 02, 2017, 01:37:23 AM »
You're gonna smoke that comp Andrew. Everything looks like it's moving real well. Good luck again.

thanks Rich
☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Offline Andrew

« Reply #873 on: November 02, 2017, 01:41:32 AM »
Final session for meet prep,  3 days out

Squat
barx10
135x5
225x3
275x1
315x1

Bench
barx10
95x5
135x5
165x3
185x1

Deadlift
barx10
135x5
225x3
315x1
405x1

This will be my warm up routine for my lifts at the meet, except i will do one additional squat wrapped, probably at 335 and maybe one more deadlift at 440/450 or so

Everything feeling good to go. 2 days rest now and then on to the platform
☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #874 on: November 02, 2017, 07:44:05 AM »
All set buddy! Eat up and rest, have an awesome meet!
Curious about the prep week this week, is this what Mike recommends with the openers workout and the warmups workout just did a few days out?
Reason I ask is because TSAís meet prep week is similar where u hit openers on Monday then light 3x3 bench and squat on Wednesday. I may do this for the meet this year instead of the longer stretch of no activity.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 07:47:41 AM by ShawnJ »
☻/
/ \

Offline Andrew

« Reply #875 on: November 02, 2017, 11:23:10 AM »
Curious about the prep week this week, is this what Mike recommends with the openers workout and the warmups workout just did a few days out?
Reason I ask is because TSAís meet prep week is similar where u hit openers on Monday then light 3x3 bench and squat on Wednesday. I may do this for the meet this year instead of the longer stretch of no activity.

For a Saturday meet, the RTS program Iíve been doing recommends the following for the week leading up to meet:

Monday: squat, bench and deadlift. Work up to 92% of previous 1RM for one set of one
Wednesday: squat, bench and deadlift. Work up thru warm ups, no greater than 80% 1RM

As you can see the volume is very minimal, but he keeps intensity rather high. I think it will work fine for me, but honestly I doubt it makes much of a difference either way (taking week off vs doing this). I will say the thing I like about this protocol is I get to lift and it calms the nerves, so mentally I like it better
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 11:26:51 AM by Andrew »
☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
« Reply #876 on: November 02, 2017, 12:40:06 PM »

For a Saturday meet, the RTS program Iíve been doing recommends the following for the week leading up to meet:

Monday: squat, bench and deadlift. Work up to 92% of previous 1RM for one set of one
Wednesday: squat, bench and deadlift. Work up thru warm ups, no greater than 80% 1RM

As you can see the volume is very minimal, but he keeps intensity rather high. I think it will work fine for me, but honestly I doubt it makes much of a difference either way (taking week off vs doing this). I will say the thing I like about this protocol is I get to lift and it calms the nerves, so mentally I like it better
Ya it will be interesting. I have been reading quite a bit about getting detrained a bit by taking a full week off before and think it has some merit.
☻/
/ \

Offline Andrew

« Reply #877 on: November 02, 2017, 01:59:30 PM »

Ya it will be interesting. I have been reading quite a bit about getting detrained a bit by taking a full week off before and think it has some merit.

I believe it May have some merit too, especially for lifters like us who arenít putting up huge totals yet. We probably are less likely to need a huge deload. Speaking purely anecdotally, I think my bench press suffers from a week off. I feel stronger on bench when I keep the frequency up.
☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Online reduni

• Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 205
« Reply #878 on: November 02, 2017, 04:38:53 PM »

I believe it May have some merit too, especially for lifters like us who arenít putting up huge totals yet. We probably are less likely to need a huge deload. Speaking purely anecdotally, I think my bench press suffers from a week off. I feel stronger on bench when I keep the frequency up.

I'm of the same mind. My first meet I was lifting right till a couple days before. I'm sure it's mental but I feel I have to keep moving. Lifts feel worse if I take time off. Especially squats.
the only easy day was yesterday

RPS SS 2017 Squat 355 Bench 290 Deadlift 485

Offline BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: fluffy
« Reply #879 on: November 02, 2017, 07:49:39 PM »
Best of luck at your meet.  I'm looking forward to some awesome updates and meet recaps.  Anyone able to get video for you?

For meet prep, I think everyone is a little different and how long you've been training has a lot to do with how fast you can detrain.  The elite guys have been at it a long, long time so it will be a while before they lose anything.  Me, I'm a newb so I can probably lift right up until about Wednesday for couple sets with my openers.  My openers are typically really easy and more of a final warm up though.

Offline Andrew

« Reply #880 on: November 03, 2017, 09:48:56 PM »
Thanks guys, I weighed in today at 214.2 . My son will be going and Iíll ask him to take some vids.
☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Offline Dave

• Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 187
« Reply #881 on: November 03, 2017, 10:35:32 PM »
Thrall talked about this in one of his recent vids as well leading up to his meet.  Interesting stuff for sure. 

All the best tomorrow man! Huge pr's incoming.
☻/
/ \

Spring Supremacy 2017 - 275, 235, 430 - 940 total 212 lbs
Spring Supremacy 2018 - 295, 240, 405 - 940 total 196 lbs

Offline Andrew

« Reply #882 on: November 05, 2017, 10:44:15 PM »
Posted this same update in the powerlifting thread that Dave created, but gotta stamp it into my log as well....

The meet went killer. American Iron gym in Reno is a sweet venue. The gym has top notch equipment, including a warm up room with 2 mono's and 10 squat racks and the place just has an all out good environment to hit PR's. I added some good pounds to my total and finished 9/9. UPA has kilo plates, so this is why some of the numbers are a bit funky, but here it is in lbs

squat

Bench

Deadlift

total: 1229lbs

Squats went good, except for the part where i was self-wrapping. That was hard as hell..lol. Bench felt great today and i liked the set up so much it felt even better than benching at home. Deadlifts went good, the 523.6 moved very good so i went for broke and got the 551. I'm pumped as fuck hitting a 550 dead! I'll work on getting some vids up

Here are my 2nd and 3rd squats and 2nd and 3rd deadlifts. Unfortunately I did not get any videos of my bench. It was a killer meet, love hitting PR's on the platform, there's nothing quite like it.

Also, check out these best lifter trophies. The battle axes were so fucking killer looking

« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 10:46:09 PM by Andrew »
☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Offline Dave

• Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 187
« Reply #883 on: November 06, 2017, 06:07:19 AM »
Those are amazing.

Well done again man.  Deads looked great too!
☻/
/ \

Spring Supremacy 2017 - 275, 235, 430 - 940 total 212 lbs
Spring Supremacy 2018 - 295, 240, 405 - 940 total 196 lbs

Offline Andrew

« Reply #884 on: November 06, 2017, 09:54:04 AM »
Those are amazing.

Well done again man.  Deads looked great too!

Thanks Dave. Those battle axes were sweet. Best male lifter who won it had over 2000lb total, and the best woman lifter who got one totaled over 1100 at about 130lb BW...some impressive stuff to earn one of those... :D
☻/
/ \
Team RTS