Author Topic: Shawn's Gonna Get on Dat Platform!!  (Read 38764 times)

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 183
Re: Shawn's Gonna Get on Dat Platform!!
« Reply #1455 on: January 16, 2018, 04:59:34 PM »
Tsa w8d4
Waking weight after nightshift: 191

Hip flexor stretch
Banded shoulder work
Baby makers

Bench:
Bar x 10 of CGBP/ultrawide/comp
135 x 5
185 x 3
225 x 3
245 x 1
260 x 1

Programs Sets: paused
275 x 1 vid @8
265 x 2 vid
265 x 2
265 x 2 vid @8

CGBP:
245 x 2
255 x 2 @8
270 x FAIL lol dumbass

Dun:

Notes: wasn't sure how today would go after yesterday then working nights but turned out very well. Working sets went very good, this is the happiest I have felt with my form/tightness on the bench to date.
Went for a dumbass 270 CGBP PR but failed miserably.
Ok 2 days off and squat test day on Friday.

☻/
/▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
/ \

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
« Reply #1456 on: January 16, 2018, 05:22:24 PM »
I'm sorry to hear your feeling sick Shawn...hopefully it passes quickly.

I have been watching you closely buddy, I know for a fact that getting into that flat back position is extremely hard, if not feels impossible for me. I think it's really good you are working on it, and I may be leaning you to help me fix mine in the future.  It will probably be the one thing needed to get that 600lb pull.  I also know all my faults in my lifts, I analyze them to death, but have decided the risk/reward right now is going to have me carry on as I have for now. Who knows how many years I will compete yet. Just taking it one year at a time. I am going to really work on it this summer and see what happens.

I can relate, whats crazy is i'm having a hard time getting into the proper position even with 135lbs. I was frustrated after last week and got a few new cues to try from my coach. We'll see how it goes. All this fucking around with form and changing my set up has my confidence down and my E1RM taking a pretty big hit right now. However, on the positive side, If i can figure it out it will be good in the long run though and i'll be able to safely pull more.

I have been watching you and Andrew's exchange on here with a lot of interest.  Both of you guys are much stronger than me in deads and squats so I don't feel qualified to say too much...I've been watching more to try to learn from what you guys discover than anything.

<start unsolicited advice>
I did have one thing to offer though about finally taking the plunge and starting over with a lift and rebuilding from the ground up.  I basically went through the same things you guys are talking about now a few months ago with my debilitating back and hip pain.  I had to damn near stop doing deads for a while after my September Deadlift meet and temporarily switched over to sumos.  Then when I finally was able to resume conventionals I had to start really light and work my way back up.  In doing so I was able to fix a couple of big issues I had, the primary one being that I wasn't bracing my abs properly and the secondary that I wasn't loading my hammies properly.  Making those changes I was able to break through a barrier and now I'm back to making consistent gains without any pain.  All of this is to say that I would trust your gut.  If something feels wrong just trust yourself and take action before you wreck yourself.  I didn't do this and paid the price with an injury.  Hell, I'll probably make that same mistake again too, but at some point I hope to have the wisdom to listen to my body and avoid injuries. :D
</end unsolicited advice>
Thanks buddy, never feel unqualified to chyme in just because someone has a few more tins on the bar, I value all opinions and learn constantly from others.

So, this situation is not about safety for me at all. If I felt unsafe I would have rebuilt the pulls a long time ago. Deads are the one lift that has never caused me injury/tweaks or any residual after training pains. Squats on the other hand.....lol.
This is why it's so hard for me to go back and rebuild. There are tons of top lifters out there that pull with a rounded upper back too which definitely doesn't help things. If I felt in danger, this would be an easy decision.
So what's the issue?
1: my lockout, I know having my shoulders retracted, chest up and tight upper back would dramatically help my lockout. The problem is it will take a long time, really long to build in the kind of strength and form work to hold that position off the floor.. I honestly don't think I could ever get back to where I currently am with this kind of rebuild.

2: plain old aesthetics, my pull would look better. Stupid I know, but hey, I like the looks of a clean lift lol.

So, this leaves me with the options of just continuing to leave things and get stronger or throw in the towel and rebuild from scratch. Leaving things as is comes with the acceptance that lockout will always be hard for me, hut hopefully just getting stronger will help me keep grinding through those slow lockouts.

I think the plan right now is just work on getting stronger up to my meet. After the meet I will spend the entire summer working on improved positioning and hope to at least improve my starting position
☻/
/ \

Online ptreyesgreg

• Keeping On Keeping On
    • My Blog
  • Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 205
« Reply #1457 on: January 16, 2018, 06:11:01 PM »
Awesome benching today Shawn. :)  That paused rep at 275 looked sweet man...and super strong. :)  Fwiw, even being able to attempt a CGBP rep at 270 is impressive to me.

Thanks buddy, never feel unqualified to chyme in just because someone has a few more tins on the bar, I value all opinions and learn constantly from others.

So, this situation is not about safety for me at all. If I felt unsafe I would have rebuilt the pulls a long time ago. Deads are the one lift that has never caused me injury/tweaks or any residual after training pains. Squats on the other hand.....lol.
This is why it's so hard for me to go back and rebuild. There are tons of top lifters out there that pull with a rounded upper back too which definitely doesn't help things. If I felt in danger, this would be an easy decision.
So what's the issue?
1: my lockout, I know having my shoulders retracted, chest up and tight upper back would dramatically help my lockout. The problem is it will take a long time, really long to build in the kind of strength and form work to hold that position off the floor.. I honestly don't think I could ever get back to where I currently am with this kind of rebuild.

2: plain old aesthetics, my pull would look better. Stupid I know, but hey, I like the looks of a clean lift lol.

So, this leaves me with the options of just continuing to leave things and get stronger or throw in the towel and rebuild from scratch. Leaving things as is comes with the acceptance that lockout will always be hard for me, hut hopefully just getting stronger will help me keep grinding through those slow lockouts.

I think the plan right now is just work on getting stronger up to my meet. After the meet I will spend the entire summer working on improved positioning and hope to at least improve my starting position

Honestly that sounds like a smart, well thought out plan Shawn.  I was thinking you felt some danger from the rounding back.  It's good to hear that's not the case at all.  I, on the other hand, felt pain every time I deadlifted pretty much from the time I started deadlifting and had accepted that as normal...and kept progressing to the point where I could barely walk.  Thus, my comments about learning to listen to my body instead of marching on and wrecking myself.

You've got great strength in the deads.  Once (if you decide to go that route) you decide to rebuild them I bet you will build back up pretty fast.  Hell you'll probably wind up putting up Chris Duffin type numbers once you're done. :D
Everybody's always in such a rush all the time...I can't fake where I'm at...you're just where you're at. -Mark Bell

If in doubt, squat and run hills. So you walk into the gym and don't know what to do? Then squat and run hills. -Wendler

My Blog: https://slavinstrength.wordpress.com/

Online reduni

• Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 205
« Reply #1458 on: January 17, 2018, 01:09:14 PM »
You killed that 275 rep Shawn. The rest of the set went well too. I guess the 270 cgbp was a little ambitious though. Well, we all gotta have a goal. It will happen pretty soon I bet.
the only easy day was yesterday

Online Andrew

• Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 217
« Reply #1459 on: January 17, 2018, 01:54:57 PM »
That 275 press moved great
☻/
/ \
Team RTS

Online BLK00TJ

• I'm all out of bubblegum
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: fluffy
« Reply #1460 on: January 17, 2018, 07:13:46 PM »
Strong pressing Shawn.  Looking forward to test week for you bro!

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
« Reply #1461 on: January 19, 2018, 04:14:04 PM »
TSA W9: squat test
Morning Weight: 191

Lat pulldowns
Banded hip work
Hip circle
baby makers

Squats: goal 4pps
Bar x 5 paused
135 x 3
225 x 2
315 x 1
355 x 1
385 x 1 vid
405 x 1 vid @8-8.5 - 15lb PR in sleeves, weighing 11lbs lighter

Widegrip pull-ups:

Dun:

Notes: good day, have never done 4pps out of wraps so that was the goal today. It's a 15lb PR and at a lighter BW. Honestly felt like I could rep it and held my form together fairly well. Win all around!
I was feeling junky this morning and my guts were twisting but all went well

☻/
/ \

Online ShawnJ

• Me vs Genetics
« Reply #1462 on: January 19, 2018, 04:59:05 PM »
Awesome benching today Shawn. :)  That paused rep at 275 looked sweet man...and super strong. :)  Fwiw, even being able to attempt a CGBP rep at 270 is impressive to me.

So what's the issue?

Honestly that sounds like a smart, well thought out plan Shawn.  I was thinking you felt some danger from the rounding back.  It's good to hear that's not the case at all.  I, on the other hand, felt pain every time I deadlifted pretty much from the time I started deadlifting and had accepted that as normal...and kept progressing to the point where I could barely walk.  Thus, my comments about learning to listen to my body instead of marching on and wrecking myself.

You've got great strength in the deads.  Once (if you decide to go that route) you decide to rebuild them I bet you will build back up pretty fast.  Hell you'll probably wind up putting up Chris Duffin type numbers once you're done. :D
Thanks Greg, ya if I was hurting myself I would change it up immediately. I am very interested in improving my setup though, it would be nice not to have such a pronounced sticking point on lockout. Summer project for me, last year it was quad strength!
Bench isnfwelimg good, no clue if there is a PR in the waiting but my form had been improving lots so either way I am happy!
You killed that 275 rep Shawn. The rest of the set went well too. I guess the 270 cgbp was a little ambitious though. Well, we all gotta have a goal. It will happen pretty soon I bet.
Thanks Rich, happy with my setup and form on that rep. Lol ya I went for broke with the 270 CGBP. Figured if I got it great. If not, no biggy because it was a dumb jump!

That 275 press moved great
Thanks Andy, no new ground here but definite form improvements!
Strong pressing Shawn.  Looking forward to test week for you bro!
Thanks Ron! Off to a good start today!
☻/
/ \

Online Dave

• Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 187
« Reply #1463 on: Today at 05:10:54 AM »
Come on now, 'fess up...you were thinking about a second rep there weren't you?  You heard a nagging, whiny little voice coming at you from southern Ontario saying "do it do it" ;D
☻/
/ \

Spring supremacy 2017 - 275, 235, 430 - 940 total

Online Andrew

• Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 217
« Reply #1464 on: Today at 11:10:05 AM »
Hell yeah, 405 in sleeves is a great lift. Looks like you’ll be repping over 400 for work sets soon  :clap:
☻/
/ \
Team RTS